Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Last Movie Watched

Re-watched Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse in glorious 4K. That movie is fantastic.

Some of the lads I work with were all talking to me at once so I put on Children of Men to get them to engage with something other than asking me lots of questions about stuff. Lazy trick but they all seemed to enjoy it.

• Like 1

I watched Splatter University. Cheesy slasher from 1984.

Theater speaking was HTTYD 3. Best way to end a trilogy and still give room for the TV series if need be.

Netflix speaking, watched Christopher Robin yesterday and watching Saving Mr Banks today.

I saw Captain Marvel Shazam! 

And I quite liked it. It was sweet, and that made it feel fresh; first superhero movie that really gave me *superhero* movie feels in a really long time - I've enjoyed many Marvel movies, but they increasingly just feel like action movies that happen to involve superheroes. Hope DC learns from this one.

2 hours ago, Olly said:

I saw Captain Marvel Shazam! 

And I quite liked it. It was sweet, and that made it feel fresh; first superhero movie that really gave me *superhero* movie feels in a really long time - I've enjoyed many Marvel movies, but they increasingly just feel like action movies that happen to involve superheroes. Hope DC learns from this one.

Yes!  Shazam was really refreshing (same feels I got watching Thor Ragnarok).  It's nice to see DC trying to do something different. :nod:

Trying to catch up on a backlog of movies I have saved up and recently watched "Sorry to Bother You". Trailer made it seem like a relatively interesting standard comedy/cultural commentary sort of thing and it started that way but with a bit of an absurdist bend to it. Almost felt like a cross between Idiocracy and Scarface. XD

And then the movie gets fucking WEIRD. >_>

Was good overall, but they did a damn good job of not giving away much from the trailers. Was kind of refreshing.

Yeah, that was definitely a movie. Months later i'm still not sure how I really feel about it. 

Oh yeah I had intended to watch that.  Looks fucking weird. :lol:

However weird it looks from the trailer, you have no fucking idea. XD

You really, really don't.

Honestly, the twist kinda ruined that movie for me. I was really enjoying it to that point, and then it just got way too weird.

While I was at a friends place catching up on GoT and what not. They had me watch Overlord. It was way better than I expected it to be and omg the gore factor was perfect. All the perfect cringing moments that make me miss this in most horror movies today.

John Wick 3: Parabellum

The first is still the best, but this is quite good. Some real brutal killings in this one.

In the moment, Ian McShane's turn at the end annoyed me, and I hated it. I completely understand his reason for doing it, but that doesn't mean I like it. Mostly because I really liked his character and didn't really want to hate him, but they kinda gave me no choice.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I've never seen any of these movies or read any of the books and the Space Channel had a marathon the other weekend so I DVR'ed them all. Only thing I knew going in was the Snape/Dumbledore meme spoiler (I didn't 100% know for certain that I could identify either character on first look but I have seen them before), it involved some magic school and they played a sport on their broomsticks

- Probably the most English movie I've ever see in my life, legit shocked that it wasn't called 'Arry Potter

- Maximum level nerdy as fuck. I think I'd be less embarrassed to be caught watching anime

- Felt very Mickey Mouse/Disney, or almost like an '80s classic movie

- Also Felt more like a collection of world-building short stories than a beginning-to-end movie

- I appreciated them rolling out and building up the world slowly, in media res is not one of my favourite things

- I figured Quirrel was a bad guy but figured he was a Snape flunky and not the legit villain. The meme spoiler had me figuring Snape was a baddy from the start. Lame way to take him down.

- All the background adult stuff with Snape and Voldemort was probably more interesting than anything the kids were getting up to, but if I was like 7 or 8 years old the kid stuff would've worked on me.

- Weakkkkk ending overall. Imagine preventing the biggest baddy in history from reincarnating with a new body and maybe-eternal-life and only getting 60 points for it, Dumbledore's a fucking cheapskate

- And also a huge prick, imagine letting one group of children win knowing that you're about to yank the carpet and the win out from under them

• Like 1
  • ROFL 2

'Arry Potta and the Chamber of Secrets

Goodass movie

- I liked the mystery and all the red herrings. Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy, Lockhart, eventually I started believing that even the magic car could've been the big bad because everyone else could've been the one who opened the Chamber/was the secret petrifyer/was the mystery heir of Slytherin

- Tom Riddle being Voldemort was a pretty badass reveal. Like this guy is so powerful that his sweaty teenage diary can kill you

- I also really liked how they made Harry and Tom so similar, even down to hiding things from Dumbledore despite Dumbledore being able to see right through them. Kinda having some "Luke, I am your father" vibes with Voldermort and HArry even though we saw Harry's father in that magic mirror in the last movie. He did very specifically mention Harry's "mudblood mother" and never really mentioned the father too. Even the scar/curse "transferring some of his power" might make more sense if Harry was a whisked-away baby to escape from Voldemort and he didn't know it.

- Just imagine for a sec that you solved a 1000 year old mystery, killed a Basilisk, saved a few people's lives and defeated the evil diary of the biggest baddy in history and you don't even get 60 points for it. Presumably Snape kills Dumbledore after snapping from cheap this mother fucker is.

• Like 2
  • ROFL 1

The first two Harry Potter movies (and books) are starkly different then the rest of the series. The series “grows up” at the same rate that Harry does. I think he’s 11 in Sorcerers Stone and 12 in CoS, and is pretty much an adult by series end. The tone of the stories mirror Harry’s maturation. Each movie will get progressively darker from here on out. 

FYI, Movie 3, Prisoner of Azkaban, was directed by Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men, Gravity) and it’s very good.  Movies 1 and 2 were directed by Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Mrs Doubtfire).

Harry Potter is the greatest fantasy book series of all time. Come at me, Maf.

Glad you’re watching the movies!

• Like 1
  • Shiny 2

3rd movie is one of my favorites.  God I love this series. :shiny:

'Arry Potta And the Prisoner of Azkaban

Was aight

- TBH Voldemort should probs just reincarnate in Dudley and get it over with already

- As soon as they say Remus Lupin, it's like "Oh, Werewolf." I didn't see Neville hanging from the ceiling and Hermione fix 'Arry's broken spectacles, but at least a Professor in the Defence of the Dark Arts didn't last a full year again

- This movie got to the point a lot quicker than the previous two, I was immediately more interested in the plot in the first 20 mins.

- Though it also seemed to focus a lot less on school life than the other two. Felt like Draco and Quidditch and Hagrid and stuff like that was more present in the previous two movies while they just made cameo appearances in this one, though Snape did feel very present

- The Dementors are cool shit, I have a soft spot for freaky Ringwraiths

- J.K. Rowling's pretty good at the red herrings, was questioning who Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew were the whole (even with the wanted poster I was wondering if Lupin was somehow one or the other) and didn't get it right again

- I wasn't as into the Sirius and Pettigrew reveals as I was the Tom Riddle one. The Time Travel stuff was an interesting element to introduce to the series (and really fits Hermione's character, I like how they're not outright spelling out that she's a maximum level tryhard because both of her parents are Muggles) , I'm assuming we're gonna see more of that in the future (or in the past, as it were, pun intended).

- Sirius and Remus almost looked like they were kissing when they embraced

- I think I missed why Harry thought it was his father who chased the Dementors away, was it supposed to be because his dad had the GOAT Patronus spell or something like that?

- So they made a point of showing Hermione press up to Ron and grab his hand when afraid, and those two are always staying behind to look after each other while Harry goes on ahead into some danger. Can't tell which one she's gonna fuck tbh

• Like 2

'Arry Potta And the Goblet of Fire

Another goodass movie

- That's been the best combination of school life and larger metastory so far

- Moody was best teacher. I did catch on that he was the villain but didn't catch on that he was a polymorphed Barty Crouch Jr, that was so smart how that mystery and all the signs of it were primarily all in the background and based on small character traits (Moody always drinking, torturing the spider in front of Neville whose parents were tortured by the same curse etc)

- I wasn't into the tournament when they first announced it was going to happen but the challenges were pretty cool (dat Dragon chase), and I do like my heroes being heroes so Harry making sure to save everyone was a touch I liked

- TBH they probably could've just made "Harry Potter and the School Dance" and that would've been good enough. That whole mini-arc where these nerds can't ask girls out then "Hermione, you're a girl, right" and getting cockblocked by Snape and "He kinda shouted it at her" and standing there on the sidelines while everyone else is dancing and having fun and finally finishing off with Hermione getting mad that Ron didn't nut up and give her the Weasel already was entertaining as hell

- The Magic Ministry Court scene where they revealed that Snape was a reformed Death Eater was so awesome. I love the whole "is he a bad guy or isn't he?" build-up with Snape

- Also it was super interesting when Voldemort summoned all his lackeys and Lucius (and I think Draco's flunky's parents?) were all summoned Death Eaters, but no Snape

- So Harry's mom was a muggle but still used ancient mother's love magic to reverse curse Voldemort even when he was Quirrel, eh?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Well she was a muggle before she became a witch.  She was pretty good at magic and died when she was 21 (so a few years out of school).

@DeJaPon

Emo 'Arry Potta and the Order of the Phoenix

Holy shit

I lol'ed at Malfoy joining the Hitler Youth (how is it Lucius hasn't been tattled on by Harry?) and shit got super interesting when Harry jumped into Snape's memories and saw Harry's dad as a bully (I can't tell how or why Snape is going to kill Dumbledore, dude's a prick but otherwise has all the chances in the world to help Voldemort achieve his ends and instead helps the good guys, and I'm also assuming that if Harry's dad isn't Voldemort then he's gotta be some kind of baddy) but for most of this movie, it felt like taking the training montage but without the montage and just making sure you saw all the training instead (Hermione saying "Voldemort" by name was p. cool).

And then suddenly Sirius Black died and then Dumbledore and Voldemort fucking threw down out of nowhere and holy shit. That fucking shattered glass spell Voldemort used :shiny:

I think I misheard the prophecy too, I took it to mean that both of them neither of them could live without the other and therefore both of them had to die to ensure the demise of the other, but everyone in the show is taking it to mean that Harry has to kill Voldemort.

• Like 2

Dumbledore vs Voldemort is an all-time great movie fight. I wish it was longer.

When the fight begins, Dumbledore pushes Harry out of the way. Harry sits against the wall staring at nothing, thinking of Sirius while the fight begins. :crying2:

• Like 2

'Arry Potta And the Half-Blood Prince

So I know Deathly Hallows is one book that was split into 2 movies. Was it just one long-ass movie that they split into two parts like the name suggests or are they shot like two separate movies?

- God dammit Ron and Hermione, just fuck already (That "Oh, shut up" line from Hermione was totally for the viewer). I did lol at the misadventures of Ron and women.

- Speaking of Ron, Harry pretending he slipped Ron a Liquid Luck Roofie just to give him placebo confidence was a total bro move :')

- Hermione's parents are dentists and none of the Wizards know what that is :lol:

- Ginny and Harry feels a bit out of left field (though she was shy around Harry in one of the earlier movies so not entirely), but it's aight I guess. Cho kind of got discarded after she had a pretty miserable time.

- Snape made the Unbreakable Vow to finish what Draco started if he failed and it was like "Oh, there it is." I think Snape's actually still a good guy and the argument him and Dumbledore had was about going through with whatever the wider plot was regardless just so he can go deep-cover and/or prevent Draco from doing something that would drive him further down the dark path.  Espec if he's a Half-Blood, because wasn't this whole deal in the first place about wiping out Mudbloods?

- Great showing by Draco too. His consistent cowardice, inability to succeed and jealousy makes for a surprisingly good weak villain. That bathroom fight where he's about to sob because he's been found out and then Harry fucks him up with one Snape's spells was great, and his face when he has his wand pointed at Dumbledore.

- Feeding that potion to Dumbledore, fuckkkkkk :(

- I'm assuming Harry's somehow part Horcrux (or at least his scar is) and maybe one of the reasons Snape is so far undercover is to figure out how to undo it without killing Harry

• Like 2

Deathly Harrows Part 1 and Part 2 are similar to Kill Bill 1 and 2. They’re of a piece but two distinct movies. Not one long movie split in two.

• Like 2

100% watch em back to back though, trust me.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:03 AM, DeJaPon said:

'Arry Potta And the Prisoner of Azkaban

Was aight

Hide contents

- I think I missed why Harry thought it was his father who chased the Dementors away, was it supposed to be because his dad had the GOAT Patronus spell or something like that?

Can't remember the films all that well (though I do think I remember thinking that Goblet of Fire was the best one, despite the terrible hair and crazy Dumbledore, lol - https://imgur.com/gallery/8Kh9n), but in the books Harry basically just wants to latch onto as much stuff about his dad/parents as he can in order to feel closer to them and have a reason for admiring their memory. It was himself who sent away the Dementors, but as he looks a lot like his father, his natural tendency to want to see his father being a hero (and the general unlikelihood of seeing himself doing something from across the lake, ha) made it an assumption he was likely to make. Not sure if he also spotted the Patronus was a stag at the time.

16 hours ago, Nairn Smoith said:

Dumbledore vs Voldemort is an all-time great movie fight. I wish it was longer.

When the fight begins, Dumbledore pushes Harry out of the way. Harry sits against the wall staring at nothing, thinking of Sirius while the fight begins. :crying2:

I didn't like the OotP film much as to me it just felt so rushed. :-/  But the Dumbles and Voldy fight was really good IIRC. :O

On 5/23/2019 at 2:42 AM, Nairn Smoith said:

Harry Potter is the greatest fantasy book series of all time. Come at me, Maf.

Have you read His Dark Materials tho?? :O

• Like 1

I haven’t read His Dark Materials! You recommend?

• Shiny 1

Oh James McAvoy is an upcoming series for that.  I'll definitely add that to the list. :shiny:

I've heard of the movies like The Golden Compass and never really checked them out.  I assume the books are probably a lot better than the movies.

• Shiny 1

So saw Aladdin for a friend's bday after dinner last night..........not 100% dumpster fire...but

Spoiler

Pros:
-Visually Stunning
-Kept the part where Genie is crossdressed with the harem during the Prince Ali song
-Carpet making the Disney Sand Castle with the magical arch.
-Kinda liked how they had Human Genie being the opening narrator even though I loved the trader in the original animation
-Alan Tudyk and his one liners

Cons:
-The pacing was rushed af
-Them merging parts of the story to make room for the new parts
-The poor execution of trying to give Jasmine more purpose than "I want to be free but can't because I iz princess"
- The extra princess song
- The adding dialogue that didn't need to be there because why????? ex: Jasmine and Aladdin saying how they both learned that song from their mothers

-Jafar was kinda more ruthless vs creep factor but overall not as strong portrayal of the villain
- The awkward af scene of "Ali" meeting Jasmine and the Sultan after big entrance
-The whole Bollywood dance at Harvest celebration and before credits.
-Jasmine beat boxing....THE FUCK!
- Taking out some of the best lines/changing the lyrics
-CGing Genie's blue skin vs just giving him fucking body paint.
-Why tf did they have to add a new character just to fucking ship Genie?! WHY!?

Overall.....it was a movie. I don't think WS did a horrific job in the role because I felt he did the best he could with what they did with the writing. I pretty much give it a 5/10
#HowIMetYourMotherTheAhgribahStory
#JasmineisThanos

That sounds just annoying.

Jovanna like really wants to see it too and most of what I'm seeing is meh. :sick:

Even my birthday friend who LOVES Disney and who was the reason we even bothered to go see it because it was her birthday afterall Has enjoyed most of the remakes so far but even she at one point looked at all of us and whispered "Wtf what are we even watching?!". Like we were lucky that there was few in the theater with us since we whispered our commentary Rifftrax style :rotfl:

You didn't like the Bollywood style stuff? TBH that's the only thing that had me thinking "ok MAYBE i'll see this if my MIL wants to or something" because I love Bollywood dancing shit. I can only take so much of it, but when I want it it's fun! Either way, she still hasn't seen Endgame so I ain't spending any time or money on this Aladdin movie.

We're going to see Brightburn tomorrow morning though! I will report back in on that one.

MA I LOVE YOUR HARRY POTTER WATCH THROUGHS I AM SO GLAD YOU DID THIS

• Like 3

I just felt it seemed over the top to a degree, cuz I didn't mind how it started. It makes sense to me that their dancing style would be fitting to the region and culture, then add the break dancing in and it just was wow, okay.  Who knows it might be just me. It definitely isn't worth full movie ticket $.

19 hours ago, Nairn Smoith said:

I haven’t read His Dark Materials! You recommend?

I do! There are similarities and differences to HP but that just means I can recommend it to people who love HP and those who don't. :lol: I think you'd probably really like it - just make sure to read the original three books before the prequel that was released last year. :)

19 hours ago, webhead said:

Oh James McAvoy is an upcoming series for that.  I'll definitely add that to the list. :shiny:

I've heard of the movies like The Golden Compass and never really checked them out.  I assume the books are probably a lot better than the movies.

I didn't hate the Golden Compass movie as much as a lot of people did - maybe because I saw it a while after it was released and had been expecting a lot worse! The main problem was that you had a director who wanted to do the books justice, but the money people were fighting him at every turn and, among other issues, the ending ended up seriously nerfed (they filmed the proper ending of the book but were basically forced to cut/change it to make it happier and supposedly more palatable to the market they were going for at the time). I was confused as to how they could simultaneously get a lot right but some things so wrong until I read about the struggles during its development. It was a shame, as there was a lot to like about the film IMO, and the director might not have faced the same challenges these days.

Having said all that, I am SO STOKED for the new series. :shiny: Looks like it's going to be great, so definitely give it a try!

Golden Compass is a mixed bag for me. I both totally love its utter debunking of Christianity (and the Miltonic influences it plays with in doing that), but can't help feel kind of pandered to as an atheist >_>

As a piece of writing, has some great bits, but ultimately was kind of forgettable (except for daemons and the armored bear. They were great.)

The books are totally amazing. But I need to re-read since I never got a chance to read the 3rd book.

Jane- There was a prequel? Where the fuck was I at this?!

Movie of Golden Compass was okay but I think it was lacking in some things. I don't remember what because it was awhile since watching it. Wasn't horrible either though.

Brightburn was fun! Well, horror movie fun. More gruesome than I thought they'd go for, which was a plus for me hahaha

• Like 1

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

- I liked it as a slow decline of magic society (I don't know why but the English have a way with dystopian fiction, like I don't think 1984 could've come from even Germany, there's something about Airstrip One) combined with the trio falling into despair and barely being able to resist Voldemort's locket preying on their fears and negative emotions. Good build-up, would've been really unsettling if I was a child considering the tone of the rest of the series

- I still think Snape's a secret good guy. Even the bad guys were really nervous while that ex-Muggle teacher was being tortured in front of them and Snape was trying too hard to appear indifferent to it.

- Was kind of getting mad at them pivoting to Harry x Hermione but thankfully (hopefully?) redder heads prevailed

- Totally got choked up when Ron came back and didn't succumb to Voldemort-induced jealousy

- That thief who stole the Elder Wand laughing in "Tom's" face that he doesn't have it anymore, why didn't they recruit this badass

- Draco wouldn't give up Harry even though it was obviously him. I was expecting him to be the big bad in the end, but maybe he's the series Gollum

- Killed Dobby, JK Rowling is a savage

• Like 3

Basically these movies/books were made for our generation and Harry got older at a pace where by the time we got to the really dark stuff, we were old enough for it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

- The Multiplication Spell in the Vault was such a cool play on the Dianoga/Star Wars Garbage Monster thing

- Harry steps out of the lined up students and McGonagall immediately has a go at Snape, what a badass

- Probs just split it into two movies so they could use the budget from the first movie to do and elaborate hour-long war in Part 2 and I'm all for it :nod:

- Crabbe turned into a black kid

- Did fucking Goyle burn to death? Jesus christ

- Ron and Hermione finally fucked, Vancouver-riot style, after wiping out the Horcrux in the Chamber of Secrets. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

- I was right about a few things :shiny:. Snape was a deep-cover good guy ;_; (tbh James Potter, Sirius Black and Remus Wolfman can suck each other's ghost dicks) , Dumbledore did set everything up to play out in the fashion it was meant to (did they set up Draco getting the Elder Wand because they knew he was a fuck-up?), Harry being a Human Horcrux.

- Imagine you're Neville Longbottom, the newly crowned King in the North, and despite your overbite, unfortunate last name and penchant for getting hung from high places, you just used a legendary wizard-sword to kill the last Horcrux of the biggest baddy in history and you're manspreading and the kooky hippy blonde that you're hot for just sat down beside you and you don't even rest the hilt of the sword on your dick

Goodass movie series. I was about to say "My favourite movie of the series is..." but then I mentally started making cases for Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire, the end battle in Order of the Phoenix (Dumbledore vs Voldemort is my favourite battle), and then the whole Snape/Horcrux set-up and the Draco showing in Half-Blood Prince, and the outcomes of all that set-up in Deathly Hallows 2. That's crazy that I can make cases for half of the 8 movies being my favourite in the series and another in consideration because of how it ended.

• Like 3

Assassin's Creed

Huh, that was actually a really good video game adaption. Actually felt it could've been a bit longer just to get more of the Spanish Inquisition setting and flavour in there, but I'm also used to the games drawing you into the past setting too, it may not have played as well in the movie.

Ghost Rider

Was expecting this to be as bad as Hulk, but it ended up being aight. Generic '00s Horror-Action movie, cool motorcycle shit, Ghost Rider always looks cool, Eva Mendes' boobs, accidental comedy because Nic Cage can't act. I'm not sure I'd ever watch this again, but I wouldn't be against watching it again either.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

This one was bad as Hulk. Barely any motorcycle shit, retconned the first movie, Ghost Rider was a silly laughing demon for some reason, they wrote in goofy shit for Nic Cage so it came off as forced Nic-Cage bad acting. Only thing that was better than the first was the CGI.

• ROFL 1

Alien

Has to have been at least 15 years since I've seen this. When I was younger, I'd always get impatient and bored because there wasn't shooting and space marines like Aliens. I still did get impatient through this one, but I did appreciate the slow rollout and the logic used to introduce the alien. A lot of the special effects on the Alien and a few moments with the Ash didn't age well, but it's probably not as bad as it could've been because you see the Alien so little. Pretty GOAT liquid movie, though. Everyone's constantly drenched in sweat, the Alien's stickyness, dripping saliva and acid blood, the milky insides of the robot (that's such a great twist now that I think about it, a movie called "Alien" having a robot in it), that one scene where Brett's letting water leak down on him to build tension.

Something I never really thought about before, I really like how the Alien drags off the bodies without massacring them and you're never really told what happens to them. You can presume what's going on based on how the Alien is born and how future movies show you the Queen and such, but never really see it.

Also kinda miss the grimyness of late '70s/early '80s sci-fi. The modern world has made technology so slick and presentable and Apple and small and convenient, it's a little nostalgic to see submarine boards and picture-tube monitors and an entire room dedicated to housing a basic computer simulator

But ye, some things are better since I'm older now, some things are worse because time and special effects moved on, some things are nostalgic because got-old, and a lot of it was realy wet.

• Like 2

Detective Pikachu

Was better than I expected. A solid... 8? Maybe less? I'd be happy to rewatch it, which is rare for me nowadays.

Us

I actually thought it was a bit overhyped. It was good but not great. A lot of cool themes though :3

Man of Steel

Someone really wanted to remake Independence Day but had to slip it into Superman instead

- I liked the casting on Superman and Pa Kent (no way Pa Kent goes "Maybe" to letting a bunch of kids die tho)

- Special effectssssssss jesus

- That Kryptonian fight while bullets are bouncing off them in Kansas was pretty cool

- I liked the Gears of War look that the Kryptonians had

- Also liked some of the childhood stuff with Clark showing his reactions to his powers activating

I could probably complain about a ton of small details that weren't thought out and silly characterizations buuuuuuut I think the things that annoyed me the most

-  It was like an hour and a half before anything happened. You could do Superman's origin story in 30 seconds and then a decent set-up for his life in like 15.

- Superman is a hero and he's grown up being extremely careful about his powers, he wouldn't cause such flagrant destruction on purpose, like when he flew Zod through those farm silos or would get out of the way of incoming objects thrown at him instead of stopping them so it doesn't hurt anyone in side the buildings they're fighting in.  And like they level the city and thousands of people obviously die but then suddenly Zod's trying to fry like three people and now their lives matter enough that Clark breaks his neck (which was a big deal because Superman doesn't kill but he's not even Superman at this point so it loses the meaning).

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Extended Edition

Cool asf tbh

- I like how they went from The Dark Knight Returns (complete with so many political talking heads!) and left turned right into Death of Superman.

- I think as a kid I would've been absolutely bored as fuck watching all the political shit but I did enjoy the social questioning of how much power these vigilantes and Godlike beings should have, who they answer to, how you can even make them answer to someone.

- Wtf killing Jimmy Olsen immediately ?

- I liked burly Batman/Gears of War style again.

- I'm not convinced that Ben Affleck has ever had a sad day in his entire life. His brooding I-saw-my-parents-murdered-in-front-of-my-eyes Bruce is more like a Mom-said-I-can't-have-any-more-Soda-before-bed pouting. It's fine with the bat suit on but as Bruce, he's a little too famous to not overpower the role

- Speaking of, I didn't really know who Gal Godot was beyond "Kim Kardashian clone" but I also associate Kim Kardashian as thicker so I legit thought the flirting-thief shit was for Catwoman

- Did have to shut my brain off and just accept that Batman is fine with branding people and murdering them and shooting guns (that Injustice-like dream where he's fighting Nazis and then flying Nazis and then Superman was p. cool tbh). Also like Superman knocked down Batman like twice and then I'm like "Okay, now you can ask for his help because your Mom's life is being threatened" and then Superman just kept hitting him for some reason and it's like "this is bad basic communication skills." If Superman's mom was named Sandra, Batman would've dead'ed him.

- I didn't like Lex Luthor at first, but it grew on me really quickly. Him being a twitchy and awkward nerd who tries and fails to project charisma and power paid off when he was tossing Martha Kent's photos at Superman's head (tbh that wheelchair bomb nearly jumped me out of my chair too).

- Doomsday just literally being a weapon of mass destruction, eating nukes and then powering up, incinerating buildings. Cool as fuck

- Laurence Fishburne really looks like he loves running a newspaper. Like if he never went into acting, he'd be perfectly content creating goofy headlines and yelling at writers to get their shit in on time.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Death Rider Mox said:

Cool asf tbh

Woops did you hit your head? :rotfl:

Movie has it's moments.  Snyder is good at "oooh cool" but bad at everything else.  If they just made this a legit DKR movie I think that might have been better tbh.

Nah I had a lot of fun with it. Legit was less bored than the first Avengers movie while watching it and most of the stuff I didn't like at first had grown on me over the three hours

Independence Day

Still fun, still the right blend of "this is silly but they're also taking it serious and it works both ways". Lot of almost-bad CGI that still somehow holds up (explosions look slightly fake and there was a few moments where they noticeably cut corners but it holds up pretty well), lot of corded telephones, lot of stereotypes (could you image people still thinking the office of the President of the United States is one for distinguished high-class people only?). Still lol at seeing Data as the Area 51 scientist. You couldn't convince me that Jeff Goldblum even to this day has ever used a computer of any type, but you could convince me that he was self-conscious next to Will Smith and overdid his sashaying when they were walking back from the crashed UFO.

Probably the best/most realistic part of the movie was the news report where police were asking the American people to not shoot at the UFOs with their handguns because it might cause an interstellar war.

• Like 1
  • ROFL 1