Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eizan

Final Fantasy V - Four Job Fiesta

Got the 3rd job this morning. I'm cursed to play with a bard X_X

Bard is one of the best jobs in the game though :music: :cool: Truly game-breaking potential.

I only have thiefs and bards to kill the worm with is the annoying part. Once I can get some songs the bards amazing.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:36 AM, little birdy said:

My solo run is progressing... slowly :|

Started with Thief, which required power-levelling to get through to the Water crystal. At least I learned !Mug in the process. Rolled Berserker for my Water job - of course. More grinding to be able to get past LiquiFlame. Rolled Beastmaster for Fire job. I actually like Beastmaster, but it's not as good as the other jobs I could have gotten. Getting through to the Earth crystal won't be *hard* but it will be a bit of a slog. 

I peaked ahead and my Earth job is Dragoon, so I'll be finishing the game as a Dragoon with Thief and Beastmaster abilities in his arsenal. Again, shouldn't be too hard... but it won't exactly be a breeze. 

My solo run is moving along quite nicely now (it was a quiet day at the office :lurk:) It's been smooth sailing since I got to Galuf's world.

My lonely character is level 50 now in the final world, pretty much ready to make the jump into the Cleft of Dimension, though I might want to grind out a couple more levels first. Sullla beat his solo Dragoon game at level 56, so that's kinda the benchmark I'm playing against here. (But he didn't have the benefit of picking up other job's skills along the way like I have)

Dragoon isn't the most sexy job in the game, but Jump sure works well - and it's great being able to equip all of the heavy armor. Having the Beastmaster skills in my back pocket, as well as Steal/Mug from the Thief, helps too. I think the only obstacle I have left is stealing a Dragon Spear from a Crystal Dragon in the Void. It's a rare steal and they are tough monsters to take out. Gonna have to try to steal and then flee (probably a lot of times) until I land one.

Done at level 52 :cool: I had to get lucky on one Grand Cross that fortunately didn't insta-death my character, but once I got rid of the part that casts Grand Cross it was quite simple. Stay healed and chip away until you win.

WIN2.png

I am currently having issues with adamantoise 😕 my stabby bois just don't do any damage 

My next run is a Team 750 (magic jobs) run that I'm doing solo again. Just got to Galuf's world and about to do battle with Gilgamesh on the big bridge. My job progression has been White Mage -> Summoner -> Geomancer -> Dancer. 

Run #3 (solo run #2) is in the books. Many people do not like the Dancer, but it is one of my favs. Certainly not a "best in game" kind of job, but the randomness and risk vs reward of the Dance command is so fun (if at times also frustrating). When you're setup with the right items at the end of the game, Sword Dance does 9999 damage every single time. I never get tired of seeing that :shiny: When I got to the final boss I was short on HP so I had to grind up a few levels to get over 2800 HP total to survive Exdeath's Flare and Holy spells. Once I was lucky enough to dodge his pesky Meteor spell, I got into the battle with NeoExdeath and finished him off on the first try :cool:

Ebx00K4WAAAsNRV.png

• Like 1

Still having fun, so I'm still playing :D Run #4's job progression is Monk -> Berserker -> Ranger -> Ninja. I just skipped the Zerker since I've had enough of them this summer. Ninja will have plenty enough fire-power to beat NeoExdeath, I'll just need to get the luck factors to line up. Not being able to equip a Ribbon or the Aegis Shield leaves me vulnerable to Petrify and Death... but all it takes is a few good dice rolls in a row to get past that silliness and then it will be an easy win.

So far this Fiesta I haven't had too much overlap in jobs from run to run:

#1 Blue Mage / Berserker / Summoner / White Mage

#2 Thief / Berserker / Beastmaster / Dragoon

#3 White Mage / Summoner / Geomancer / Dancer

#4 Monk / Berserker / Ranger / Ninja

All I'm missing are: Knight and Black Mage for the Wind Crystal; Red Mage, Time Mage, and Mystic Knight for the Water Crystal; Bard for the Fire Crystal; and Chemist and Samurai for the Earth Crystal. Just enough for two more playthroughs if I feel like throwing the remaining jobs in a randomizer and putting together two more teams :thinking2:

@Eizan @Rulkster where you guys at? :tumbleweed:

#4 is in the books. I nearly blew it at the end because I was not keeping track of HP totals carefully enough. I narrowly avoided get destroyed and got off one last attack for the win (PHEW)

WIN4.png

Well The Last of Us Part 2 came out and well I started playing other things....

Update: Black Mage is my final Job. 

Went on holidays so took a break. Got my last job as a Beastmaster so should be smooth sailing from here on. 

:thumbs: If you manage to learn Catch with all your characters then you can hit NeoExdeath with four Breath Wings for major damage, that's always fun :rotfl: Requires a bit of ABP grinding though. 

On 7/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, Eizan said:

Update: Black Mage is my final Job. 

:thumbs:

Win #5 is in the books. Black Mage -> Red Mage -> Bard -> Samurai. The stretch as a solo Bard was a bit painful, but my final job was Samurai so that made the rest of the game easy peasy. It was actually quite useful having the Equip Harps ability from the Bard for the final boss. Apollo's Harp does mega damage against Dragon type monsters (ie, the part of NeoExdeath that casts Grand Cross) :)

WIN5.png

I just had Krile pick up the group from the Moogle forest. I kinda grinded before I went to the 2nd world, so everyone is about 10 levels above Galuf. 

Elmagus is finally doing a solo character play-though. His 20th one...

BTW I've made the mistake playing the PS1 version of this and the translation is garbage...

Some of it is hilarious, but yes it is a terrible translation overall. Also it feels like the slowest version of the game. 

You'll get a nice boost enough the addition of Bio, Break, and Comet in Rugor. Plus with that grinding you did, most of Galuf's world will be a breeze. You have a good team for taking on Exdeath at the end of Galuf's world too. That can be a tough battle for some jobs. 

Was gonna ask how rough was it doing the floating island with just bards?

Atomos was a jerk. Killing my both my Time Mage and Black Mage at the start of the fight...twice. 

Just got Krile, although having Galuf as my White Mage for that segment was not the best idea. I had to just berserk him and let him swing until that was over with.

I want to go back to World 1 to grind Black Flames. Haven't found anything on World 2 that's quite as effective.

Atmos is vulnerable to sleep. Just put him to sleep and never wake him up (i.e. no physical attacks) and he is 100% harmless. 

If you're looking to grind ABP then the statues underneath Bal Castle are a goldmine. If you use a Soft / Gold Needle on them they instantly die, so it's a quick way to learn new abilities. They're not worth a ton of exp though. Forest of Mua is easy for grinding levels though. Exp is decent and your Black Mage's Fire3 will take care of everything. Also Blue, Yellow, and Red Dragons in Exdeath's Castle will provide lots of exp (but more of a risk). Blue Dragons are vulnerable to Break, Yellow Dragons aren't Heavy so you can hit them with Missile and Death Claw, and of course Red Dragons are weak to ice. You've got all the right jobs to take them on. 

1 hour ago, Rulkster said:

Was gonna ask how rough was it doing the floating island with just bards?

Rely on your songs to help get through random encounters, Charm Song should work on everything. It's slow, but you let the enemies beat themselves. No silver bullet for the boss though other than chipping away and healing regularly. You will probably need farm Elixirs before going in there. Monsters in the Wind Shrine (Mold Wind) and Ship Graveyard (Carcursor and I think also Undead Husk) have Elixir as rare drops. Load up and then head in to take on that boss :nod:

I'm doing what may be my last play of the summer with the following jobs: Knight, Mystic Knight, Time Mage, Chemist. I went for the Brave Blade so I haven't been running from any random encounters. Just about to do the Fork Tower, then I can go get myself the Meteor spell. 

Okay, finished Exdeath's Castle. Think I really don't need to grind jobs much more. All my characters have level 5 in all the Mage Classes, except Faris. Might get her Time Mage up enough so she can start my boss fights casting Haste 2. 

Soon you'll be able to equip all your characters with Running Shoes - easily the best accessory in the game - then you won't need to cast Haste anymore ;)

#6 complete. I have now used every job (except Mime and Freelancer) at least once across these playthroughs. This one was very easy Exdeath / NeoExdeath are pretty harmless once you buff yourself to the moon with Chemist mixes :D Probably gonna give it a break for a couple weeks, but I'm sure I'll squeeze in one or two more runs before the Fiesta ends.

WIN6.png

Just finished Fork Tower. Do you have to go back and unlock all the weapons? I got the only 3 I could use, but haven't gone back yet. 

At some point I'll have to go grinding to level up. I have 3 at 28 and 1 at 23....

If you need more of the weapons - or you want sell them - then you gotta go back.  Totally optional. You get 3 weapons per tablet. Some of those weapons sell for good money, and others sell for like 5 gil. It's hit and miss and I can never remember :lol:

What are your jobs again? You may not need to level up much more. But you'll gain a few levels organically if you do the last two tablets. Both dungeons are rather easy and the random encounters give lots of exp.

Mage Party (White, Black and Time) + Thief. 

That poor Thief is kinda useless, though if you have a fully powered Chicken Knife then the Thief can still be a pretty hard hitter. Mug/Capture ensures that you never accidentally flee instead of attacking. But with the ability to put Armor and Shell on everybody you really don't need many more levels to polish the game off. Shell is key against Exdeath's tree form because none of your characters can equip anything that will block White Hole (petrify), but at least you can greatly reduce the odds of it succeeding with Shell. Shell will also cut the damage from Almagest in half which makes the final battle very doable at a lower level.

Necrophobia's Barriers will be a pain though if you want to get that final save point.

Almost done, just killed TwinTania. 

Everyone is at 30-32. I hated where they placed Omega, I accidentally ran into him twice. 

Unlocked final save point. The Barriers weren't bad, I just spammed quick and Meteor. 1/2 MP cost really helps. 

Done! First time beating FFV and FJF. 

Exdeath wasn't bad. Kept Shell and Blink on all characters, spammed Quick and Fire 3 Spells (Meteor on first form) and Faris(Thief) was on item duty mainly Elixirs to the mages. 

Although to be fair I did turn my Battle speed down to 4. 

• Shiny 1

57 minutes ago, Eizan said:

Done! First time beating FFV and FJF. 

Exdeath wasn't bad. Kept Shell and Blink on all characters, spammed Quick and Fire 3 Spells (Meteor on first form) and Faris(Thief) was on item duty mainly Elixirs to the mages. 

Although to be fair I did turn my Battle speed down to 4. 

And there you have it! Easy peasy. You can get a victory over Shinryu easily with this party too. Omega would probably require a gimmick (Quickleak) but I'm not sure if that trick/bug even works on the PSX port. Then sign up for a second run :shiny: :D

It’s back!

I’ve got Monk and Berserker so far — strong jobs at the start of the game, but not great at the end. I hope my Fire job is something more useful. 

Fire job: Dancer. It's a fun job, and I like it more than most other people do, but... Monk, Berserker, and Dancer is looking like a bit of a grind. Gilgabot has one more chance to hook me up with a good job. Please.

Took a bit of grinding to get past that pesky Byblos, but it should be smooth sailing now. Just took down the Sandworm. Hopefully Sol Cannon isn't too much of a pain. My dudes are over-leveled for this stage of the game, so I should be able to hit it pretty hard. I am holding out hope for a good Earth job after I beat ArcheoAevis.

Gilgabot came through for me -- my Earth job is Samurai. So I've got !GilToss to fall back on if the going gets tough. But my party has been doing surprisingly well just beating up on everything with Monk (Barehanded) and Berserker powers. Even my Dancer and Samurai are forgoing weapons in favour of using their fists. 

I'm at Moore now.

Late reply but I don't think I'll have time for a run this year 😕 

Tempted to random one out just for the lols tho.

Doooo iiiiiiittt!

I'm nearing the end of my run. Haven't had much time lately to play :-/ I pretty much just gotta beat Exdeath and I'm done, but I need to grind out a few levels first as my team won't be able to survive an Almagest. 

Win #2 is in the books. My all-magic team consisted of Black Mage / Summoner / Red Mage / White Mage. Very fun, but too easy :lolgrin:

That’s probably it for me for this Fiesta. I might do the FF1 challenge now that Gilgabot threw down after the pixel remaster games launched. 

I feel like I should try one of these runs some time since FFV is my favorite non-VII entry.  But I have so many games to catch up on/finish that it always feels like a bad decision lol

It’s not a very long game, particularly if you roll a favorable set of jobs. Play on an emulator with liberal use of fast forward and you’re done in a weekend :thumbs:

The FF2 challenge in honour of the Pixel Remaster release: Just fucking play it :rotfl: No special rules. Just play it. 

I’ll have a go. I’ve never played it before. 

FF2, if you play the original NES version, is very bleh.  It's nice they tried to have a plot, and I respect what they tried to do for the leveling system, but it doesn't come together we'll.  I spent the first few hours exploiting the system then just trodded through the game.

Maybe you'll find more enjoyment than I did.  But playing FFIII afterward is very rewarding :lol:

I like the idea of the leveling system. I will be playing the Pixel Remaster version on mobile. I’m not sure if any changes have been made (other than graphics of course) from the original NES version to improve it in any way. I think the Pixel Remasters are supposed to be pretty faithful to the originals, just with updated graphics. 

In September Gilgabot is running an FF4 event (no special rules, just play the game) and collecting donations for a pro-choice thing on Texas. 

http://fourjobfiesta.com/ff4/

as much as I love ff4 i don't replay it because the game is loved with nostalgia goggles

It’s that time again! The Fiesta went live yesterday. 

There is a new run type this year — 375 — which assigns two Team 750 (caster) jobs and two Team No 750 (melee) jobs. 

My first job is Knight, which will crush everything on the way to the Water Crystal. Nice, easy start. Curious what my Water job will be…

:thumbs:

Make sure you finish it too! ;) 

So far my run is: Knight; Time Mage; Beastmaster. Time Mage automatically makes it an easy win. Time spells practically break this game. Based on the rules for the 375 run, my Earth job will have to be either Chemist (more game-breaking power!) or Dancer. I'm kinda hoping for Dancer, because I love how random it is. Also farming items for the Chemist's mixes is a bit of a nuisance :lurk: 

I remember my last run I had to beat the earth worm with bards and I was not having a good time.