Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garlic Junior

The Umbrella Academy

Reminiscent of Heroes (great premise, execution not so great) or Sons Of Anarchy (no real "good" guys to root for yet can't stop watching), I CANNOT, and WILL NOT, recommend this show however, if you have had the muted displeasure of watching it.... what did you think?

It was great and I need moar. Klaus is a sweetheart ❤️

Loved every bit of it. Music was on point the whole thing too. Watching it a 2nd time through with the wife now.

23 minutes ago, Galeigh said:

It was great and I need moar. Klaus is a sweetheart ❤️

This ^ Klaus is my #1 fave with Hazel following. Music choices were great, pretty much felt like Watchman had sex with Xmen. Granted I can see how some parts of the story were a little meh, but I overall enjoyed it. And from some of the youtube vids I've seen the story was totally more fucked up so I like the bit of cohesiveness they got in this storyline.

I did have problems deciding which character to actually like in the beginning.

• Shiny 1

I can feel ya there, there's a lot of "daddy issues" that seemed to block a lot of their growth (granted I know it was the point but) I honestly wonder where it's gonna take them for season 2?

19 hours ago, Mialee said:

Thats kind of the point, they are ALL assholes. The fun part is WHY they are assholes.

It was great. I can and do recommend the show. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Mialee said:

Now that I've actually finished the show, I've mellowed out on my "this isn't very good" stance. 

I still think the characters actions aren't empathetic (dear god Luther what the actual fuck) and it shamelessly rips off other stories (you telling me White Violin isn't just Dark Willow ya?) but... the shamelessness of it is kinda appealing.

The time travel shit makes no sense, don't even try to approach it with anything but a suspension of disbelief. And other minor gripes.

Would I recommend it? I'll still lean No to be honest. You'd be better spending your time on I dunno, Watchmen or something.

Will I watch Season 2? For sure. Need to know the actual deal with the Dad now.

I’m almost finished and I still don’t know if I like it :spineyes:

• Like 1

I'm a few episodes in.  I like it but I don't love it so far.  But I'm not that picky so I'll keep watching. :lol:

• Like 1

From what I know when it comes to the time travel stuff a lot of it makes even less since in the comics from what I've seen in youtube vids explaining the difference. I legit feel sorry for Luther tho since I think he got fucked over by Father the worst.

Season 2 confirmed!

I saw that! The fox is pleased!

Finished it yesterday.  I really liked it.  Started off rough but it all came together.

:heart: Klaus.  Was rooting for him the entire movie.  He's so damn likable.

@Garlic Junior why do you say the time travel made no sense?  Seemed perfectly sensible to me.

That fucking ending though.  God damn it.  I need more.  I can really see why they chose him to do a run of the Doom Patrol a little while back.  This show really reminds me with a really fucked to X-Men mixed with that.

Also lol'd at the song with Gerard Way singing at the end.  Nice.

Probably the best cover of that song I've heard honestly. Was really well done.

Klaus will always be the stand out here :heart:

Did you notice that every time klaus was about to come out as gay to his siblings they either walked away before he finished or he was interupted?

It wasn't until after he came back and got serious about getting clean did he finally get the chance to get it off his chest. His slight hesitation made it clear he was nervous about it, but he clearly wanted them to know. It was really well done

5 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Probably the best cover of that song I've heard honestly. Was really well done.

It's cool they involved him since he wrote the comic.  Got to do some more music AND his comic got made into a movie. :D

1 hour ago, Galeigh said:

Klaus will always be the stand out here :heart:

Hide contents

Did you notice that every time klaus was about to come out as gay to his siblings they either walked away before he finished or he was interupted?

It wasn't until after he came back and got serious about getting clean did he finally get the chance to get it off his chest. His slight hesitation made it clear he was nervous about it, but he clearly wanted them to know. It was really well done

Spoiler

Interesting.  I didn't notice but I did notice he never said anything until after the time travel piece.  He told Diego and he was like oh cool.  Was nice.  Then it got erased. :(

I really like that episode "the day that wasn't" it show almost everyone getting a happy ending of some kind. The whole, "the world is ending so let's make our last moments a happy one"

It illustrates that even though the company policing the timeline does some horribly evil shit, they might have a point. Blurring the line about if 5 is actually doing the right thing, or the selfish thing. 

Spoiler

I don't think letting all life on the planet die can really look like a non-selfish thing to be honest.  What maybe looks bad is how 5 is going about it and fucking things up worse along the way.  What they do at the end seems like the real solution.  Try and fix their fucked up childhoods and make 7 not feel like a piece of shit and get lied to her entire life.

I agree for the most part. What meant was they had a point about stopping people from changing the timeline cause the results are more than likely worse than the original in some way. 

The apocalypse didnt wipe out all life, just all of humanity (the fact 5 survived so long means the environment can still sustain life). And given humanity's road to self destruction, in the bigger picture that might be good for the planet. 

Not saying it IS mind you, but these people have complete access the events in earth's past, present, and future. They aren't just saying this shit to hear the sound of their voices. 

Spoiler

I'm curious what happens after honestly but I don't think that they're ever going to show us.  Like the end of one thing....what's the next thing?  Are they the next race that travels through time or something?  I WANT TO KNOW. :crying:

• Like 1

For real. I wanna know! Like you said, the company could be the race that comes after humanity trying to ensure their own existence or aliens trying end all life so they can colonize. So many possibilities.

I'm definitely interested in where they take this considering the differences from the comic.  Example vids below. The first spoiler has possible comics spoilers for those who don't want to know those.

Spoiler

And what about Ben?

Spoiler

Umm... didn't he clearly have a conversation in like episode 3 or something where he said his longest relationship was with a dude?

Anywho, the time travel was nonsense lets be honest :lol: all time travel is.

Well it's time travel so things are going to get weird.  I liked it.  You still haven't actually said why you thought it was nonsense. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Garlic Junior said:

Umm... didn't he clearly have a conversation in like episode 3 or something where he said his longest relationship was with a dude?

Anywho, the time travel was nonsense lets be honest :lol: all time travel is.

they walked away before he got to the part about it being a dude

• Like 1

That's because he never finishes talking because most of the time he says silly shit and they ignore him. :rotfl:

To be fair he says a lot of random shit :koffing:

Has anyone actually read the comics? The show is almost like a licensed spinoff using the same characters. Not saying I didn't like it, but yeah.

I need them to get off their asses and give me more chapters of the comic :)

• Like 1

I tried looking for them at ECCC since it was still fairly new coming out. But no luck. I'll just have to wander into my local comic shop or amazon it sometime.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, webhead said:

Well it's time travel so things are going to get weird.  I liked it.  You still haven't actually said why you thought it was nonsense. :P

Sorry, I don't feel it needs quantified.

Five randomly decided he knew the equations to get "back" to present time, even though he had been time travelling for what? Five decades?

But then once he got back in the "right" time he could afford a holiday"back" into the future to work for the company and affect things in the past only to then insert himself back into OUR present instead of further back into the past with the knowledge he already had of how our heroes were going to react to Father's death....

No. I'm not going to get into it. The show is ABSOLUTELY FINE if you don't get into it too deep. Just agree with me here or present YOUR canonical thesis on how the time travel "works".

5 hours ago, Garlic Junior said:

Sorry, I don't feel it needs quantified.

Five randomly decided he knew the equations to get "back" to present time, even though he had been time travelling for what? Five decades?

But then once he got back in the "right" time he could afford a holiday"back" into the future to work for the company and affect things in the past only to then insert himself back into OUR present instead of further back into the past with the knowledge he already had of how our heroes were going to react to Father's death....

No. I'm not going to get into it. The show is ABSOLUTELY FINE if you don't get into it too deep. Just agree with me here or present YOUR canonical thesis on how the time travel "works".

Spoiler

It took five his whole career basically to get the equation to go back in time to the present.  Then when he traveled to the future, he was using the briefcase, not his own powers.  When he went back back in time at the very end, I'm not sure how but I believe he basically threw caution to the wind because they were all going to die anyway.

I kind of feel like you were missing the details and that's why it made no sense to you.  Maybe you were confused at the difference between the briefcases they use to travel and Five's own powers?  As far as I'm aware, he did not use his own powers to travel through time to work for them.  He used a briefcase.

7 hours ago, Mogwai said:

Has anyone actually read the comics? The show is almost like a licensed spinoff using the same characters. Not saying I didn't like it, but yeah.

I need them to get off their asses and give me more chapters of the comic :)

It's interesting you mention that.  I was reading about the comics on Wikipedia and this show seems pretty different in many ways.  Like there are more episodes than there were comic issues even. :rotfl:

• Like 1

Yea I noticed that. :xd:

So, season 2 was greenlit. We will actually get a conclusion to the cliffhanger ending!

I figured it had already been greenlit.  That's good.  I'd be pissed if they left it like that lol.

Seriously I'd scream if they left it like that.

I could have accepted that as the ending. My headcanon at that point would be one of the following:

Five using his power under duress, with all of them together like that would have caused an issue not entirely unlike him returning to the past at the beginning. It would send them all back to the past and they would be kids again, and be able to move forward and grow with perhaps some recollection of what they've experienced already. This would function as potential Season 2 material too really, but would still be an interesting ending point.

Conversely, it would create a sort of feedback loop in time. This is how they came into being in the first place. They were all born under mysterious circumstances by women who were not pregnant going into that day, and this is how it happened. The Commission wants the world to end because it keeps time stable due to this event happening.

Second one is definitely the one I would have in my head if it's truly all we were going to get. :nod:

It serves as a decent explanation but doesn't account for 

the other 36 babies that were born mysteriously that day. There's also other circumstantial evidence/speculation as to how that particular event took place, but that was one of my initial thoughts upon Five using his power to get everyone out of there.

That was definitely one thing they never explained in the show nor from what I saw in the comics. (So far anyways) So I'm hoping that does get addressed.

Season 3 kickin off with a footloose dance off, OMFG

• ROFL 1

I had the same reaction. I was all wtf is this really happening and then I realized is was a reaction from Diego's brain being more or less ruffied lol.