Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

[Manga Chat]

I haven't checked out that new one yet, @Psycho666Soldier , but it's on my radar. Might give it a few weeks before I dig in.

Thoughts so far on JJBA + the new stuff from today:

JJBA (Finished Phantom Blood yesterday and about 12 chapters into Battle Tendency)

It certainly lives up to the title of bizarre! :rotfl: I've seen a lot of JoJo hype online over the years but never really took the time to learn anything about it, so I went in blind. I didn't expect it to be this wacky, but I am not complaining. Art is great, some of the poses are nuts, and I am amused by the character names. (Speedwagon! :rotfl:) Interesting that JoJo and Bastard!! started around the same time. I guess everybody was out of their heads in the late '80s :fup: I'm only a bit into Battle Tendency now but I think I like Joseph better than Jonathon Joestar.

HxH #394

Togashi can really cram a lot of words into one chapter! Please stop introducing more characters. I just re-read this arc a couple weeks ago and I think I'm starting to get lost again :lol: 

The Elusive Samurai #86

Tokiyuki's the best. If I was on his squad, I'd run through a wall for that guy. Curious to see the strategy that Fubuki comes up with next chapter!

PPPPPP #57

I continue to be dazzled by this every week, even if I struggle at times to know what the heck is going on at times. Seems like Fanta just kicked it up a notch with his performance...

Anybody else current on Choujin X? Last couple chapters have had some solid action. This is another one I get a bit lost in though. Releases seem kind of random.

Also, don't think I mentioned last week: The latest Show-ha Shoten was really good IMHO. Getting more of a glimpse into Taiyo's story.

11 hours ago, dr. b said:

I haven't checked out that new one yet, @Psycho666Soldier , but it's on my radar. Might give it a few weeks before I dig in.

Thoughts so far on JJBA + the new stuff from today:

JJBA (Finished Phantom Blood yesterday and about 12 chapters into Battle Tendency)

Hide contents

It certainly lives up to the title of bizarre! :rotfl: I've seen a lot of JoJo hype online over the years but never really took the time to learn anything about it, so I went in blind. I didn't expect it to be this wacky, but I am not complaining. Art is great, some of the poses are nuts, and I am amused by the character names. (Speedwagon! :rotfl:) Interesting that JoJo and Bastard!! started around the same time. I guess everybody was out of their heads in the late '80s :fup: I'm only a bit into Battle Tendency now but I think I like Joseph better than Jonathon Joestar.

HxH #394

Reveal hidden contents

Togashi can really cram a lot of words into one chapter! Please stop introducing more characters. I just re-read this arc a couple weeks ago and I think I'm starting to get lost again :lol: 

The Elusive Samurai #86

Reveal hidden contents

Tokiyuki's the best. If I was on his squad, I'd run through a wall for that guy. Curious to see the strategy that Fubuki comes up with next chapter!

PPPPPP #57

Reveal hidden contents

I continue to be dazzled by this every week, even if I struggle at times to know what the heck is going on at times. Seems like Fanta just kicked it up a notch with his performance...

Anybody else current on Choujin X? Last couple chapters have had some solid action. This is another one I get a bit lost in though. Releases seem kind of random.

Also, don't think I mentioned last week: The latest Show-ha Shoten was really good IMHO. Getting more of a glimpse into Taiyo's story.

JJBA

Spoiler

Joseph and Battle Tendency are miles better than Phantom Blood.  Jonathan is your typical masculine protagonist who's all gentlemanly and white bread.  Joseph is a much more interesting character, and I think has better fights/battle intellect.  Some have recommend starting right with Part 2, but I still think Part 1 is a good read, and worth getting the backstory to add gravity to everything else.

Honestly, I think I like Battle Tendency more than Stardust Crusaders, too, but Stardust Crusaders has some insane moments.

Also, I read the first half of Takopi's Original Sin and it's properly fucked.  So I'm extra curious to see where this new series goes.

I finished Takopi's Original Sin.  Only 16 chapters long.  God, it's rough.  The final chapter damn near made me cry.  Really good stuff.  I recommend, though I caution that it is NOT for the feint of heart when it comes to realistic and gritty depictions of a shitty childhood.

EDIT: I also caught up on Akane-banashi.  It's been awesome as usual.

Spoiler

I loved the beginning of the Zenza training arc.  The run-in with Rien and the clapback, and then the Dragon Quest/RPG explanation for the Rakugo system.  Feels like a perfect pace to kind of drip-feed some of this info to us, and even though not all of it sticks with me, it's easy to understand and just helps expand the scope of how far Akane still has to go.  I also just generally enjoy the rotating cast of characters in the manga so far.

Caught up on PPPPPP

Spoiler

Like you, bomb, I sometimes don't fully get the subtext that's being told as far as what each character's motivations and stuff are.  But I think the art is fantastic, and reading it on a binge helps make a little more sense of what they're saying, because the actual meaning is usually stretched over a couple chapters.

I'm curious if that performance made Fanta win, or if by sending everyone home, he effectively rendered the competition as a draw?  Definitely feels like there's some deep personal stuff for Fanta that's coming out now and I'm curious how the fallout of this performance goes.

2 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Caught up on PPPPPP

Reveal hidden contents

Like you, bomb, I sometimes don't fully get the subtext that's being told as far as what each character's motivations and stuff are.  But I think the art is fantastic, and reading it on a binge helps make a little more sense of what they're saying, because the actual meaning is usually stretched over a couple chapters.

I'm curious if that performance made Fanta win, or if by sending everyone home, he effectively rendered the competition as a draw?  Definitely feels like there's some deep personal stuff for Fanta that's coming out now and I'm curious how the fallout of this performance goes.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna guess about how Fanta's performance will impact the outcome of the competition. I could see it going either way. Maybe there will be a twist of some kind. I sort of expect Lucky's team to win because he's kind of got that main character plot armor, and the pattern seems to be him winning over his siblings one by one... but you never know.

I caught up Show-ha Shoten and Chainsaw Man, and I'm too lazy really type up any detailed thoughts right now, but both are really great.

I tried out Cipher Academy.  The art is really good and I like some of the character design, but I don't think it's for me.  The cipher solving just kind of glazed over my brain.

Ichinose Family has me, though

JJBA update: I finished Battle Tendency. In the end I found it dragged a bit. Overall, I might have actually liked Phantom Blood a bit more. I'm a few chapters into Stardust Crusaders and it seems like it's going to be good. Stands are an interesting new thing. 

PPPPPP #59 :sad: 

The fight currently going on in Sakamoto Days is really good stuff.

All the other stuff I'm following weekly was good but I guess there was nothing really worth remarking on, except that I was disappointed to only get a special illustration from Spy x Family this week :| Two more weeks until a new chapter.

That's interesting because I was fully bought in to Battle Tendency.  I binged through it hard and didn't feel the drag.  Odds are you'll probably like Stardust Crusaders more in that sense.  It arguably drags toward the middle as far as how long it goes, but the action that happens is probably more engaging.

PPPPPP #59 was a heartbreaker

Spoiler

I originally didn't think Lucky's mom would pass until closer to the end.  The competition was good, though, and I like how they've been characterizing Fanta.

I also caught up through Chapter 83 of Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

I initially thought the Hisashiban introduction was kinda meh. Just like, "Oh, look at all these eccentric and crazy killers!" But the actual battle with them was so damn well done.  The art, the battle choreography, and the characterization as they fought.  Action-wise, this was probably the best arc so far.  Some of those panels were stunning.

I checked out that Ichigoki's In Control debut, and I think it's the sort of quirky concept that's destined for cancellation.  But it was interesting enough that I'll give it a couple chapters before I make a full judgment.

Ichinose Family still got me hooked.  It's a really engaging twist on the amnesiac protagonist.  So far we're just getting glimpses into his past life, but I'm really curious what happens when they start bringing the rest of the family back into it.

Yeah I'm still loving The Elusive Samurai :thumbs: :highfive: 

Haven't got around to reading Ichinose Family yet, but maybe this week..!

I'd say if you're gonna pick up any of the new series so far, Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins is the one.  A lot of built up intrigue with enough interesting things happening in the meantime so it doesn't feel like it drags so far.  And having read the mangaka's last series, which I thought was excellent, I have high hopes.

I have yet to check out Ginka and Gluna and Tokyo Demon Bride Story and I don't really expect either to wow me, but I'll give them a shot at some point.  I was super curious about Aliens Area, but it seems it was cancelled already, so I'll probably just let that one slip to the wayside.

Yeah, for a while there I was trying out every new series, but it's disappointing when something you start to like gets cancelled. Now I'm just going to wait and see what actually sticks around, see if there is some hype or if other folks recommend it to me, and then maybe pick it up. 

Fabricant 100 seems cool.  We'll see if they can keep up an interesting plot, but it was a pretty great first chapter.

Caught up to Elusive Warrior

Spoiler

Again, the horse guy was just kind of a weird novelty at first...even though it was a very creepy novelty.  But the execution and characterization, both in his fighting style and the backstory they just gave, makes it hit harder.  This series feels like it's in full form right now.

Don't have a lot to say about the new Showha Shoten just because I'm still trying to piece together what exactly happened that they're probably gonna reveal in the next chapter.

I didn't check out Fabricant 100 yet but I think I will. Something about the teaser for it piqued my interest.

I totally agree re: The Elusive Samurai Samurai. That last panel :crying2:

Are you caught up on Sakamoto? The last few chapters have been really good!

Also have to mention the recent chapters of HxH: The Phantom Troupe's origin story was fascinating and heart-breaking at the same time. Some of the panels in the chapter this week... Oh man. Please never go on hiatus again, Togashi.

Sakamoto's coming soon.  I still have it, Undead Unluck, My Hero, and Kaiju No. 8 of the main series I follow to catch up on.  And Sakamoto Days is the one I'm most looking forward to catching up on, so I'm trying to power through the other ones before I do that.  But I've been hyped reading your little comments.

PPPPPP #60

Spoiler

Reading this weekly is kind of reminding me that this manga gets so personal and introspective that not a lot happens in a single chapter sometimes.  And I enjoy the ride, but after being able to binge, it leaves you constantly waiting to see what's happening next.  I'm curious about Furusu becoming a conductor, and Fanta...seeming more kind and human than he had seemed basically the whole time until a couple chapters ago.  That's nice to see.

But also like...Lucky's mom just died...we holding off on that? :confused:

Akane-banashi is also in a state of really kind of waiting to see how this chain of chapters ends before it feels like there's something remarkable to say:

Spoiler

I'm not really sure I'm super into Urara's Rakugo.  I like the spin on sensuality and it not being like a cheap distraction, but it's not really grabbing me enough to want to spend 2+ chapters talking about it.  I'm more interested in seeing what Akane learns from it/how further interactions with her go.  Like the character is interesting, but I dunno, I'm just not really feeling the performance that much.

Oh, and Ichigoki's Under Control actually got me to laugh pretty hard with it's second chapter, so I'm probably gonna follow that until it probably gets cancelled.  Maybe. Who knows.  It's pretty funny, and that goes far in Jump sometimes.

I'm behind on a lot of stuff but I did check out the first chapter of Fabricant 100 and it definitely has my interest

Caught up to Kaiju No. 8 and jesus christ it just keeps getting better.  The art is really incredible and the action is insane.  I'm really hoping this gets an anime eventually.

Chainsaw Man 113

Spoiler

It's really interesting seeing this new dynamic where Denji has absolutely no interest in Asa, vs. the first part of the story where he was constantly thirsty.  Even moreso because Asa thought it would be a cakewalk, which normally with Denji it would be.

So I'm guessing we're getting a Four Horsemen theme for the main devils this time, which should be fun.  But apparently Denji knows the famine devil?  Either that or Fami has revived and enlisted the help of the Eternity Devil.

Lots of good stuff this week! No spoilers, just some random thoughts:

• Tokiyuki is a very good leader :nod: 
  • The revelations in Sakamoto this week explain a lot! :O.O: 
  • I think we're going to be seeing some serious fireworks in HxH soon, and I cannot wait
  • I am once again a little bit lost in PPPPPP, but it was a beautiful chapter in any case
  • I'm pumped for Akane to hopefully make another breakthrough soon
  • I read the second chapter of Fabricant 100 but already forgot what happened :lolgrin:
  • Today will be the day I check out The Ichinose Family--I will report back about it later

Also, I'm 40-something chapters into JJBA: Stardust Crusaders and... I dunno. Some of the action has been good, but it's not a very compelling story for me. At times it just strikes me as dumb. I will probably finish it because I don't like to leave things unfinished. It won't take that long. I read a few chapters each night before bed because I don't have any books on the go right now. Unless there is a very strong finish that leaves me wanting more, I'm going to put the rest of JJBA on the backburner for a while and maybe come back for Part 4 sometime next year.

Akane-banashi #43

I love it when this manga gets colour pages. They're so vibrant. I love the style and use of colour  :love2:

I already like Rokuro as a character, but add in the music (esp. jazz / Coltrane) references and now he's easily my second favourite character behind Akane!

2 hours ago, dr. b said:

Akane-banashi #43

Hide contents

I love it when this manga gets colour pages. They're so vibrant. I love the style and use of colour  :love2:

I already like Rokuro as a character, but add in the music (esp. jazz / Coltrane) references and now he's easily my second favourite character behind Akane!

How did I know this post was gonna bring up the Coltrane reference :lol:

Great chapter this week, and it has me really stoked to see what goes down when Akane opens for Rokuro.

:thumbs:  :highfive:

Anybody else get the Shonen Jump year in review email? 

Apparently my top 5 most read series of 2022 were:

1. Jujutsu Kaisen
  2. Death Note
  3. JJBA: Part 2 (Battle Tendency)
  4. Hunter × Hunter
  5. PPPPPP

I assume that the other current stuff that I read weekly that have been running all year (Elusive Samurai, Sakamoto, etc., etc.) would rank about the same as PPPPPP in terms of number of chapters, but the list cuts off at 5. 

Kind of surprised that JJBA: Part 3 (Stardust Crusaders) didn't make the cut, because I'm like 90 chapters into it now (decided to just soldier on and finish it). I guess the metrics were taken a bit before the email was sent out.

:salute: Doron

I'm actually surprised some of those made it up there, but I'm guessing the algorithm factors in binges, and those are definitely the series I've done the largest catch-up binges on lately.

Dragon Ball Super is back!

Spoiler

I know this is just a prequel arc for the movie, but I LOVE that they're finally focusing on a grown up Trunks and Goten while Goku and Vegeta are fucking off elsewhere.  I'm hoping they either milk this time between now and the movie, or they keep expanding on this concept past the movie's arc so we can get the rest of the crew facing some serious, epic battles before Goku and Vegeta come back to fight Freeza.  Or hell, have the fight with Freeza be completely separate.

But yeah, I like the vibes so far.  Good stuff.

Yes, hooray for a new DB Super chapter!

I've always liked Goten and wanted to see him get more spotlight. Is now finally the time!? I've never been as much of a Trunks fan, but Mai is great so Trunks can stay too. Future Mai :heart:

My initial reaction to seeing the Saiyaman thing come back was UGH but this rendition of it was not as bad as Gohan's initial run as Saiyaman

Have you still been reading Choujin X? The last few chapters have been pretty awesome :nod: 

Still gotta catch up on that one.  Sakamoto will come next, and then I'll finally trudge through it.  Where I left off, it was one of the least interesting ones for me.  But I'm definitely excited to see where it's gone since.

I finished JJBA: Stardust Crusaders last night. The short review: I actually enjoyed it a lot in the end. 

There was a stretch there when I was not enjoying it. I think it was a bit a ‘quantity over quality’ problem with so many stand users introduced one after another. Some were just too silly for me. But once the team hit Egypt, the enemy stand users got more interesting and everything got better as a result. The final chapters against Dio were especially good. 

I am in no hurry to start reading Diamond is Unbreakable, but I will continue with it someday in the future. 

Finally got all caught up on Sakamoto Days.  Hot damn, have I been missing out.

Spoiler

The fights going on pretty much since the race for the database have all been stellar.  As usual, Yuto Suzuki has such a cool art style with some jaw-dropping panels.  I also love the way everyone is characterized through their fighting.  I did have to go back and remind myself about who Yotsumura was because I forgot he had already shown up, but it was worth reading that fight on the tow truck again.

Stoked to see how Sakamoto/Kanaguri ends.  Kanaguri felt like a (fun) flash in the pan last time, but his return has been great.

Yup :lol: Me too. It usually starts to make sense eventually… maybe next chapter will clarify things a bit. 

Yeah, that was one thing that was nice about binging for the catch-up.  Things made more sense because you could piece it all together over 3-5 chapters lol

Really liked the fight with Kanaguri in Sakamoto Days.  Class stuff.

Ichinose's is still intriguing, but man, it does so much setup sometimes that I feel I'm left waiting for something to happen after certain chapters.  Like it feels like NOTHING happened this week.

Akane-banashi 45

Spoiler

I like how they've framed Akane's growth so far.  The last story was about understanding it deeper.  Now Akane knows how to understand a story better and performs it well, but it's not a fit for her, so she has to find a way to make it her own.  In the process, she'll get some life experience.  Poor Jumbo.

I liked the last two chapters of Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

It was fun seeing the war of words/philosophies between Tokiyuki and Tadayoshi.  The last chapter really did a good way of helping us feel the weight and intimidation behind Tadayoshi's words.  It seems Tokiyuki won the battle for momentum, but I wonder how this battle will play out?

re: Sakamoto: I was starting to feel pretty tired of movie guy, so I hope this is the last of him for a while now. The fighting in this chapter was good though.

Akane-banashi

What do you mean "Poor Jumbo" !?  Lucky guy gets to go on a date with Akane. OK well maybe she's using him just a liiiiiiittle bit, but I'd be fine with it if I were him

:lolgrin:  

Tokiyuki's the best :salute: 

Choujin X continues to be exciting. Consistently several very good chapters in a row now :nod: 

Another solid new chapter of Choujin X, only 5 days after the previous chapter. This manga has a really weird schedule. Or, less a schedule, more of a "whenever Ishida is ready" release cycle. In any case, I will say it again, it's been really good lately :nod:

Chainsaw Man #117

Denji falling back into bad old habits of doing absolutely anything for girls... :uhoh: Very curious to see what happens next!

Holy shit, this was it

Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins #10

Spoiler

This was the chapter that I think fully hooked me back in.  Last couple chapters were feeling a little stale and felt like the escalation was scaled back.  But here they drop the big twist hook.  I like that it's clearly gonna have a loop-like structure, but it's not about time travel(at least blatantly).  I'm already salivating for the next chapter.

Yeah that was pretty wild. Good timing too since it was kinda starting to get boring. Now I'm intrigued all over again. The looping thing is reminiscent a bit of Erased ( if I'm remembering that correctly... :lolgrin: )

Kinda feels like both Sakamoto Days and Elusive Samurai could be building up to big final showdowns soon-ish. 

Other non-spoiler random thoughts:

• I feel like PPPPPP has lost its direction—or I just don’t get what’s going on these past few chapters (totally possible :lolgrin:). In any case, I’m not enjoying it is much anymore…
  • I am absolutely loving these ‘Fetching Tea’ chapters of Akane-banashi :love2:
  • Interesting twist in JJK this week! Overall, I am getting tired of the Culling Game arc, but events at the end of this week’s chapter have renewed my interest. 

Nah, I agree on PPPPPP.  Before, even when I didn't know exactly what was going on, there was a charm that made it still interesting.  But between having no Lucky and this kind of meandering focus on the other septuplets, it's just not grabbing me the same.  And normally after 3 or so chapters, I understand what's happening and it rings me back in, but not for like 6 now.

Loved the new chapter of The Elusive Samurai (97) this week :love2:

Obviously they're not done yet because they still have to deal with Takauji... but it's great to see Tokiyuki finally make it home. I'm very curious what happens next. Do they stay in Kamakura for good? Or does Takauji come and drive them out again?

Latest chapter of Ichinose Family was very good stuff too :nod:

Don’t remember. Don’t remember. Don’t remember. I want to know what happens next!

On 2/6/2023 at 10:35 AM, Psycho666Soldier said:

Nah, I agree on PPPPPP.  Before, even when I didn't know exactly what was going on, there was a charm that made it still interesting.  But between having no Lucky and this kind of meandering focus on the other septuplets, it's just not grabbing me the same.  And normally after 3 or so chapters, I understand what's happening and it rings me back in, but not for like 6 now.

PPPPPP was a bit more interesting, and made more sense, this week. I would rather just get back to focusing on Lucky… but I guess I’m also up for Dada-sensei’s back story. 

Some really great stuff this week(with a couple manga that I had to catch up from last week, too).  Akane-banashi really paying off the brief lull.  Elusive Samurai with a signature moment and a gorgeous 2-page panel.  Undead Unluck has been really fun with the most recent arc.  Ichinose Family really digging into the meat.  Even Fabricant 100 had a good pair of chapters these last two weeks after being kind of ok after the first chapter.  Just gotta catch up on the last two Sakamoto chapters.

I've also been reading Jiangshi X.  It's fine.  Kinda basic demon Shonen stuff, but this last chapter had some cool art.  Not sure I'm gonna cling to this one.

I wonder how Cipher Academy has been doing lol.

I wasn’t going to check out the new one right away, but with PPPPPP done now (total bummer!) I guess there is a spot open on my reading list…

Oh damn, I didn't realize PPPPPP ended!  I went and caught up on the last two chapters immediately.  Definitely a bummer.  I wonder what happened there.  It felt like it was ramping up and hit a peak with the 4-on-4 battle, then it just kind of meandered for a few chapters before ending.  I don't think it's unlikely it was a somewhat planned ending since his mom died during all that, but it feels like some of those last few chapters were wasted, and we probably could have just done the Dada backstory and then this chapter.

Spoiler

Not sure what to make of the ending, with the body choosing the genius side of Lucky, but I loved that it ended with him hitting Gakuon.  Too often, I feel like anime/manga does the thing where people are expected to forgive parents or try to make it work, and I love that this manga said fuck that.

Yeah overall I'm pretty disappointed by how PPPPPP ended. Chapters the last several weeks have been mostly hard to follow, and then the sudden ending. Felt like it was a bit rushed, even if it was already close to reaching the end point. I agree about that one thing though---Lucky slugging his dad on the final page was a nice touch. So much of what led up to it was a mess though :-/ 

Did you ever catch up on Choujin X? A loooooot happened in the latest chapter (35). It was a lot to take in. Not as good IMO as the chapters that preceded it, but it seems like we're building up to more cool stuff happening.

• Sad 1

I've only read the first chapter so far, but Gokurakugai has potential.  The art is really well done and has oodles of personality.