Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

[Manga Chat]

The Elusive Samurai #49 — OK, I like the uncle quite a bit more now :rotfl:

Spoiler

Yep, that's all I want. Either of those are fine lmao

this is replying to dr stone talk i forgot to put that JUST IN CASE ANYONE IN THE FUTURE WONDERS

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

It's funny, because one of my other guesses was that it was gonna be some kind of scientific answer and they were gonna have a personification of something like they did with hydrogen sulfide, but that seemed silly and unexplainable.  This feels like it's that direction but with something that makes way more sense.  Even though it's definitely a concept I hadn't expected them to explore.  The exposition of the next chapter or two should be really intriguing.  I'm curious if it's man-made or an interstellar organism?

Pretty solid new chapters of Ayashimon and Doron Dororon this week. I had started losing interest a bit in both, but these chapters renewed my interest.

Sakamoto Days was OK too I guess, but I’m not super into the whole entrance exam angle. It’s been done enough times… I did like last few panels though. Nice pen! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Dr. Stone

Reveal hidden contents

It's funny, because one of my other guesses was that it was gonna be some kind of scientific answer and they were gonna have a personification of something like they did with hydrogen sulfide, but that seemed silly and unexplainable.  This feels like it's that direction but with something that makes way more sense.  Even though it's definitely a concept I hadn't expected them to explore.  The exposition of the next chapter or two should be really intriguing.  I'm curious if it's man-made or an interstellar organism?

I’m guessing interstellar organism of some sort.

New series this week, Akane-banashi. I don't know jack about rakugo, but I'll give it a shot. There was enough there in the 1st chapter to pique my interest. 

Everything else this week was decent. Nothing really major to note, but I did get a kick out of what happened in The Elusive Samurai.

:rotfl: at Genba losing his shirt gambling. Gonna be fun to see how this plays out next week.

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

I'm just along for the ride in Dr. Stone right now(in a good way).  It's nice to see the other perspective of the Why-Man messages, and I'm curious about the negotiation scene between Senku and the Medusas.  I half expect the negotiation to go well fairly quickly with Senku having an offer they can't refuse, but I feel like Stanley and Kohaku are there for a reason.  Either the parasites aren't going to like the deal, or Senku's offer will make them think of another more radical option and there will likely be some kind of conflict.  But who knows?  They've got me hooked so far.

A bit behind on most of everything else.  I've been pretty busy.  But I've made sure to catch Dr. Stone each week.  I've also been keeping up with PPPPPP, and I'm really digging this current arc.

Lots of (I hope) good new stuff to read this :shiny: All the usual weeklies, a new Spy x Family, a new DB Super, and a new series. 

Dr. Stone #230

I agree that it’s nice to see Why-man’s motivations. Curious to see how the negotiations go. Also, that’s a cool visual of Senku flying on a platform of Medusa’s

Earthchild

A lot happens in this first chapter! I think I wanted to like it more than I actually did… but I’ll keep an open mind and see where it goes. 

The concept of an Earthchild is kind of interesting even if it wasn’t explained all that well. 

I immediately thought Kareri was a cool character, so the ending of this chapter was disappointing.

• Like 1

The cover for Earthchild looked really interesting.  I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

I've been waiting until I'm fully caught up on everything else so I can just binge Spy x Family in one shot.  I think this week is the week.

The Elusive Samurai #51 — Shizuku :shiny: :rotfl:

”She’s just straight up cheating!”

:rotfl: :rotfl:

PPPPPP #21

Tell me Lucky is gonna do something awesome in the next chapter! I don’t want a let-down

Sakamoto Days #59

Speaking of a let-down, this chapter was kinda lame. Get the exam over with already please and thanks.

I think I’ll keep following Akane-banashi. I’m such a sucker for this kind of redemption story.

Dr. Stone #231

Not a very interesting chapter IMO. Some cool art though. Hopefully we get an understanding of Senku’s talks with Why-man in the upcoming chapters.

Elusive Samurai #52

OK, so all of sudden we’re buddies now..? Women, eh. So hot and cold.

PPPPPP #22

You show ‘em, Lucky!!!

dr stone

Spoiler

oh my god just end already i'm done with this lol

Akane-banashi

• I'm already really enjoying this, particularly because around summer of last year I went down a youtube rabbithole about rakugo and found it really cool so I'm looking forward to more

Earthchild

• it has my interest for now, gonna keep with it for a bit and see where it goes

Yeah, I’m all-in on Akane-banashi! Chapter #3 was great :shiny: I’m a sucker for this kind of story. Cheering so hard for Akane. I still don’t know much about rakugo, but it seems like the manga will teach me enough about it as it goes along. 

Earthchild has been good too, at least good enough to keep reading a bit longer. I hate these WastE guys already though…

This is one of the videos I watched in my rabbit hole times and it was a really cool look into rakugo made for interested english-speakers! I feel like the manga is gonna be a really cool look at it too. There's an anime about some female rakugo players whose ending song has gone viral a few times but it seems like the show itself didn't connect well with people outside japan. I might finally give it a watch...

(ninja edit to add the anime I'm referring to is Joshiraku)

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

What a let-down.  It feels like nothing really happened and a Medusa joined them.  I'm reading the next chapter's the last so we'll see how that goes.  I dunno, I loved the journey and the build-up to this end, but it felt terribly anti-climactic.

Earthchild

Spoiler

I'm very curious about this manga.  I feel it has potential to get very twisted at points.  It definitely has not taken any exact direction I've expected, and it's pretty different from a lot of what gets printed in Shonen Jump these days, so I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.  It'll just need to start developing a cast of characters to give a fuck about before too long.

The Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

Finally got all caught up on this.  I enjoyed the gambling chapters, and the moment where Shizuku made out with Tokiyuki was wild.  Very curious to see how the rest of this plays out.  I'm wondering if Tokiyuki is going to find some way to train under that archer.

Also, that last panel was wicked.

Re: Elusive Samurai

Yeah that last panel was something. Kinda gross too

:rotfl:

Ayashimon #13 — this chapter was good, better than the last few. Shaping up to be a pretty fun fight! I’m stoked for the next chapter.

Sakamoto Days #60

I legit lol’d at the panel about how YouTube is better than movies, but otherwise this chapter didn’t do much for me. Just end the exam arc already.

Sakamoto Days

Spoiler

I dunno, I've been into this arc.  Things got really serious for a moment, and I felt like this arc has been a good way to maintain the intensity of action while kind of getting back to the more silly stuff while furthering the plot.  It's not like the exam is like other anime where they're actually trying to pass to reach the next step to being Hokage or something.  And I dig the characters introduced, especially the movie director dude.  I also may have a different perspective since I've read pretty much the whole arc in one sitting rather than reading it week to week.

Almost caught up on everything.  Have one chapter of Choujin X, Doron, and Ayashimon to read before I finally catch up on Spy x Family.  Then I just need to read the last two chapters of DB Super and Show-ha Shoten, but neither are major priorities for me atm.

Oh, and Akane-banashi, of course.  Still need to start that.

Lots of good things to catch up :thumbs: 

I was wondering for a while there if Choujin X had just quietly ended, but I guess it's going to keep on with an irregular release schedule. Ishida built up enough of a reputation with Tokyo Ghoul that he can probably do it however he wants. I'll keep reading it. Can't say I'm totally enthralled with the story, but it's good enough to more or less keep my interest, and I really like the art.

Yeah, having caught up on that now, it's like...I'm not enamored, but I'm still amused?  I think there's potential for it to be really good at some point, but I think it's still finding it's focus and figuring out exactly what it wants to be.

Doron Dororon continues to be somewhat unremarkable in the sense of having things to say about it/doing anything new, but I can't help but really love the characters.  Kusanagi's attitude is infectious and in general I'm just rooting for them to succeed in whatever they do.  I also think there are some really cool visual moments in here and I could see that translating really well in an anime.  Fingers crossed it doesn't get the axe any time soon/doesn't become too stale.

i binged all of Fire Force over the past week and it was weird as fuck

that's it, that's my review

Good weird or bad weird?

Or just weird weird..? :rotfl:

A lil bit of all 3!  I enjoyed it, got some fun characters but the actual story goes apeshit in a way that's fun but also just so poorly constructed you have to laugh. 

That’s good to know. I was never a huge fan of Soul Eater either.

Started reading One Piece over. Only my second time reading through. About 100 chapter in, around when the Baroque Works shows up. It’s really amazing how fun and funny it is. I’m really curious of when and if it begins to sour for me.

I'm still intimidated by the thought of starting One Piece.  I'd have to take it in chunks at a time, and I feel like I'd fizzle out like 200-300 chapters in like I did with Jojo's.

I actually do want to go back and restart Diamond is Unbreakable, though.  It was really cool, I was just fatigued from having marathoned the end of Stardust Crusaders.

PPPPPP #23

Spoiler

I loved this chapter.  This kind of felt like a massive payoff for every misstep and growing pain with this series.  Lucky has found his strength and is now finally learning how to use it.  The story, the visuals, the emotions, all top notch.  The last page was so tender and touching and yet so epic as the same time.  Excellent stuff.  I'm all strapped in.  I want to see Lucky grow into the monster he's destined to be and smash through Gakuon Otogami's vision and shake his family to his core.

Dr Stone #232

Spoiler

I'm upset that the climax of the last chapter was pretty anti-climactic, and this didn't really do anything to make it much better, but I thought this was a really good final chapter.  Having it take place at Taiju and Yuzuriha's wedding was perfect, and the time-skipped dialogue was just refreshing.  I think overall, it goes to show the series' weakness is it didn't always deliver on the serious moments, but the build-up and journey of science in-between was always fun and infectious, even if it was over-the-top or way too easy.

The Time Machine reveal as an ending felt right.  There was always the thought that this series could end with time travel of some sort as it's a pretty natural extension of "how far can science take us?"  But having it as an active plot element would have been a bit too wacky, I think.  Having it as the reward after confronting Why-man, however, was a cool moment.  Also the color pages at the beginning were excellent.

So yeah, the climax was weak, but I loved pretty much everything else in the series.  I think there's a version of this where it's more practical and doesn't kind of handwave the heaviest moments of the series, and maybe it would be better.  But this was still an original manga that was a blast to read through, and I'm excited to re-experience it all animated.

Oh man, going in from the beginning for One Piece certainly is a daunting task but it's so worth it!!! I think you have the right idea, tackle it at your own pace, and I think you'll find yourself being able to let yourself get swept up in some arcs and move quicker than you'd realize! It's a weird series but IMO it's way more digestible and easy to get swept up in than JJBA. Lots of nonsense that makes sense! .... if that makes sense. Sometimes JJBA just feels like INTENSE NONSENSE and I can't continue with it. I've barely read it in years even though I love it dearly!

now.... *cracks knuckles* HOW MANY SHONEN JUMP SERIES CAN I COMMENT ON BEFORE I ADHD THE FUCK OUT

dr stone

Spoiler

Despite what I'm going to say, I don't disagree with you at all about this as a final chapter! I'm still gonna shit on it though because this series went off the rocker long ago and this was just another "really? THAT'S what's happening? lol ok" moment. All I could think was "really? you want to prevent this? you want to prevent your friends like Chrome and Kohaku and Suika from existing?" I don't REALLY think that's what they're going for but that's straight where my mind went and i was just like NOOOOOOO and then I laughed just picturing a scene of them being like OK HERE WE GO WE GET EVERYONE BA---OH SHIT WAIT

All in all though, it was a lovely ending when it comes down to it. We got to see the wedding and a bit of how everyone is moving forward and then a taste of how the scientists will move forward in pursuing and pushing science! What more could we want for these characters? I like it. The colour pages really were nice! Always love seeing those and it was a treat to end with them.

As a whole picture though this series was a MESS but it was a fun mess! Enjoyed the ride!

akane-banashi

Spoiler

Still digging this! I'm really looking forward to seeing other performers and their specialties. With Rakugo being an art form that is so based in actual tone of voice and vocal performance it's really cool how they're translating it to manga! Like I mean obviously IRL Rakugo performers act with their faces and bodies too but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN I can almost hear the different voices just looking at the art. I love it!

Earthchild

Spoiler

SHE IS ALIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEE

sortaaaaaaaa? still. HOPE FOR FAMILY REUNION AAAAAA

Very curious about what the timeline on this is going to be! We're getting narration from the kid but are we gonna stick with watching dad raise him or are we gonna time skip and have the bulk of the story pick up at a later point in his life? For now, I'm interested to keep reading either way! 

Ayashimon

Spoiler

I got lazy on this one so I was about 3 chapters behind and caught up fully today. Still enjoying it, I just got distracted a few weeks ago and did the whole "eh i'll remember before next week" and never did lol

I really like seeing the crazy powers in this, but it feels like this series would work better with an anime or a cleaner art style. I don't dislike the manga style but it's a bit scratchy and busy and dark

I need to get back on Sakamoto days, that's another one I was like "oh i'll start this next week" for the past.... very long time lol. I'm on chapter 10 but I just forget about it even though I very much enjoy it. Maybe soon I'll get further in and can comment on it a bit more since I see y'all keeping up with it! 

• Shiny 1

You should continue with Sakamoto Days. It’s pretty great overall. 

Dr. Stone 

It was a nice ending. Certainly much better than the previous chapter. I’m glad they didn’t try to fit time travel into the story. That probably would have been a confusing mess

:rotfl: Kinda cool seeing the time machine introduced briefly in this final chapter though.

PPPPPP was really good this week. Don’t really have much specific to say about it, but… Furusu’s great :loved:

Ayashimon #14

Wanted to see Maruo do something awesome. Didn’t quite get there. Bummer. Ten grew a spine finally though, so I want to see what he does in the next chapter!

Oh! that's the other thing, I'm finally gonna give PPPPPP a shot. It's another one of those "i'll hop in starting next week" things. I might blast through it if it hooks me and then move over to Sakamoto days since there's fewer chapters 

PPPPPP has been a bit hard to follow in spots, I think it would probably work better in anime, or maybe I’m just dumb :fup: In any case, it’s an interesting concept they’re playing with in this story and I like the characters quite a bit. It’s a winner in my book. 

One thing that’s been on my “soon I’ll start reading it” list is Jujutsu Kaisen. Enjoyed the anime quite a bit, so I’d like to pick up the manga where the anime left off. Maybe next week… :lolgrin:

The Elusive Samurai #53

Now we’re getting serious!!! Something tells me that Tokiyuki isn’t going to be down with this plan… Curious what happens next.

Just finished getting current on PPPPPP! These are some wild ass character designs, lmao. I love the premise! I'll keep going with it! 

• Shiny 1

:thumbs: 

I agree re: the character designs. It's nice to see something a bit different! I especially like how the sister's (Mimin, IIRC..?) hair is drawn. So big and wavy. Lucky's hair is always going in all directions too :rotfl: 

When Lucky called someone else's hair weird I lost my shit :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Akane-banashi

Spoiler

Yup, I think this one's a keeper.  I love the main character, I love the story concept and everything is so touching yet fun.  I'm also enjoying all the characters so far, and the art is great.  This feels like a series that already has the makings of a wonderful anime.

I hereby welcome you to the Old School Forum Akane-banashi Fan Club! :thumbs: :cool: 

PPPPPP #24

Mimin has funky looking feet

:rotfl: And very big hair

Sakamoto Days starting to get good again. Chapter 64

OK Akira is my new favourite character! She took that dude out like it was nothing.

Ayashimon and Doron Dororon have been decent lately. Some cool panels in both this week. Ayashimon can be hard to follow in spots, sort of like Chainsaw Man was, but I like the style even if I’m guessing some of the time :rotfl:

Elusive Samurai #56

Shit is about to go down! No way they actually kill hill here, but it feels like the next couple chapters will be expiring and chaotic.

Shout out to the Vietnamese guy in chapter 7 of Akane-Banashi :shiny: Very basic stuff but they got all the words right. 

Doron Dororon #17

Some cool panels in this one! Especially liked the last page. 

Am I…
…the prey?

:shiny:

I am still really enjoying Akane-banashi! Loved this panel. This manga is so much fun!!

DEC1A194-0C2C-4579-BA2B-839A7D337248.jpeg

• Shiny 1

At chapter 515 of my One Piece journey. Luffy just arrived at Amazon Lily. It’s amazing. Maybe starting to dip a bit but we will see. Really Arlong through Enies lobby is just amazing. I didn’t remember how good the world building is. There are so many mysteries I’m invested in. When I read before I stopped reading shortly after the time skip so I’m going to be in uncharted waters soon enough which is exciting. My opinions seems to be pretty similar to common thoughts. It’s a tear jerker of a series with a great cast, comedy and world building but the fights could be better. Excited to keep trucking on.

• Shiny 2

I’ve thought a few times now about starting on One Piece. Can’t do it. Too much :lurk:

Elusive Samurai (59) seems to be building up to some excitement. I’m really looking forward to the upcoming confrontations. 

Sakamoto Days is generating more interest from me again. Kind of an interesting twist in this week’s chapter (67). 

IRL I have no interest in VR but it’s a neat little wrinkle added into this fight. Will Shin’s power still work, I wonder..?

Another great chapter of Akane-banashi this week! (#10) I don't have any specific comments. Just wanted to mention again that it's great.

Ayashimon #20

:rotfl: at the disguising those dudes as girls

Bummer about Wakku at the end though :( :salute: 

I had a lot of catching up to do over the last couple weeks.  I'm now caught up on everything but Ayashimon(Still like 6 weeks behind) and still have this week's Earthchild and Undead Unluck to read, but I'm generally loving the direction of everything right now.

Kinda felt like the last PPPPPP chapter was dragging things when I'm ready to just see Lucky's performance, but it's generally on a big high right now.

The last two Sakamoto Days chapters have been cool.  Looking forward to the fight on the next chapter.  The final panel was really dope.

Akane-banashi is still such a treat.  No signs of slowing down yet.  Show-Ha Shoten is also hitting it's stride really strong. 

Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

Looking forward to the final showdown with Shokan

And I'll once again extol the quality of Kaiju No. 8

Oh, I think I'm a bit behind on Choujin X?  I dunno, I like it, but it's also just kind of there for me, so it's never really a priority for me.

Choujin X is cool to look at. I love the style. Some of the characters are fun too. But I’m not super invested in the story overall. I would like to see it animated someday. 

I feel like Earthchild is a bit of a mess. There’s a lot going on in there and it feels a bit chaotic to me. I’ll stick with it though. 

Yeah, I'm along for the ride with Earthchild, but it does kind of feel like a new idea or element is introduced every chapter.  I'm also not really sure how long it can sustain with how much the plot has developed already.

Ayashimon #21 “Sack”

Man that is one big sack 

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

• ROFL 1

It might just be me, but anyone been reading Black Clover? 

Spoiler

Because the last chapter before the hiatus/start of the final arc was pretty good and it was something I wasn't suspecting. 

Ayashimon 21

Spoiler

help

helppppp

i can't stop laughing i fucking choked at this fuuuuuuuuuuck

"everything.

is his sack."

jesus fucking christ

14 minutes ago, Anelle said:

Ayashimon 21

Reveal hidden contents

help

helppppp

i can't stop laughing i fucking choked at this fuuuuuuuuuuck

"everything.

is his sack."

jesus fucking christ

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anybody else up-to-date on DB Super?

Chapter #83

I'm still enjoying the look back at Bardock vs. Gas. It hasn't necessarily been the best moment of this arc so far, but it's been good anyhow. I liked how Bardock didn't want any outside help -- to heck with using the Dragon Balls for a wish -- though the thing about wanting his son to thrive was a nice little moment. And, of course, it's always fun to go back to the "whatever doesn't kill a Saiyan makes them stronger" well yet again. Anybody reading DB Super ought to know this by now... but I guess it must be said again.