Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

[Manga Chat]

Yeah, I figured cultural difference could be the issue.  It's hard to tell.  But it's definitely gotten in the way of me liking the manga so far.  It's a cool idea and the non-comedy bits are touching, so I wish I could get into it more.  But I just find myself kind of lost when it comes to some of the actual comedy.

The first chapter wasn't as bad.  But this one just had me kind of scratching my head.

I find the dad pretty amusing, so that helps me enjoy it more :lol: Dude should have stuck with the guitar though… 

Dr. Stone #217

Spoiler

Really good chapter.  Chrome being a star of the chapter is always great, and I always love his passion.  Was pretty touching(though not surprising) that Senku and Xeno both voted to make the conjoined craft.

Speaking of which, of course Chrome's idea is basically some Voltron/Gachaman shit :rotfl:

The Hunter's Guild Final Chapter

Spoiler

Yup.  And that's that.  Still disappointed.  Really cool concept and this stuff being expanded upon could have been fun to follow along.  Like this ending would have been so much more meaningful if we had properly built to it.  Ah well.

Neru #17

Spoiler

Nice tie-in to Neru foreshadowing his strained relationship with his family.  Never would have guessed he was a corporate heir, but it definitely grounds his disconnect with modern society.

15 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

The Hunter's Guild Final Chapter

Reveal hidden contents

Yup.  And that's that.  Still disappointed.  Really cool concept and this stuff being expanded upon could have been fun to follow along.  Like this ending would have been so much more meaningful if we had properly built to it.  Ah well.

Yeah this ending was pretty crummy :rotfl: Sucks for the author. Surely they didn't plan for it to end this quickly and in this way. It was so weird going from everybody passing the entrance exam to the whole thing end a few chapters later.

Neru #17

Reveal hidden contents

Nice tie-in to Neru foreshadowing his strained relationship with his family.  Never would have guessed he was a corporate heir, but it definitely grounds his disconnect with modern society.

I enjoyed this chapter. The dynamic between Neru and his mum reminds me a bit too much of my wife and 10 year-old daughter though... :lolgrin: I am beginning to tire of the constant fight/make-up cycle :| 

The reveal about Neru being a corporate heir was just as random as the introduction of his mum in the previous chapter. But I think I like it. It helps to add more depth to his character.

Dr. Stone #217

Reveal hidden contents

Really good chapter.  Chrome being a star of the chapter is always great, and I always love his passion.  Was pretty touching(though not surprising) that Senku and Xeno both voted to make the conjoined craft.

Speaking of which, of course Chrome's idea is basically some Voltron/Gachaman shit :rotfl:

Oh yeah, we're building a Voltron! And hooking up the world with Internet! Well done, Chrome. Now what comes next from Why-man..? I was thinking there would be some kind of reaction/retaliation from Why-man once the Science Kingdom's satellite was able to start sending images back to Earth... but this chapter didn't really get into that.

The Elusive Samurai #39

I am really enjoying the current arc where the Elusive Warriors are acting as messengers, all the strategy going on at each front, etc. Looks like things haven't gone well in the North though! :uhoh: I wonder if Tokiyuki and friends are going to be forced into battle in the next chapter to stop the enemy from going down to support the bad guys in the Centre..?

Dr. Stone #218 — wow a lot happened fast in this chapter. :rotfl: @ Ginro

Neru #18 — well… that was disappointing :| 

When I saw the panel with “five years later…” I knew something wasn’t right. What an abrupt and disappointing ending. This chapter was so random. What a mess. 

1 hour ago, dr. b said:

Dr. Stone #218 — wow a lot happened fast in this chapter. :rotfl: @ Ginro

Neru #18 — well… that was disappointing :| 

Hide contents

When I saw the panel with “five years later…” I knew something wasn’t right. What an abrupt and disappointing ending. This chapter was so random. What a mess. 

Man, I saw your "headline" and I could feel it.

Spoiler

Such a disappointment.  I felt like we were just about to get to good shit.  And since it ended out of nowhere, this chapter felt so disorganized and had no clue what was really going on until the end.  I really hope this artist gets a chance to do a different story, because there's talent here that will be wasted otherwise.  So sad.

Sakamoto Days #47 was awesome.  Really cool plot point underneath and some incredible action panels.  Yet again recommending for anyone who hasn't started reading this yet.

Perhaps this is the week for me to start on Sakamoto Days... :thinking2: Two things on my reading list wrapped up rather suddenly this month, so I might as well start on something new!

9 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Man, I saw your "headline" and I could feel it.

Reveal hidden contents

Such a disappointment.  I felt like we were just about to get to good shit.  And since it ended out of nowhere, this chapter felt so disorganized and had no clue what was really going on until the end.  I really hope this artist gets a chance to do a different story, because there's talent here that will be wasted otherwise.  So sad.

Yeah, major disappointment :crying2:

PPPPPP #9

I figured Reijiro wasn't as terrible as he was coming across in the last couple chapters. This chapter confirmed that. Poor kid. Hang in there buddy, Lucky's gonna save you!

Elusive Samurai #40

All is not lost in the north! Phew :sweat: I am still enjoying the strategic elements of this battle on multiple fronts. Lots going on. The Elusive Warriors ran into trouble at the end though. Chapter 41 should be all action!

Did you have a look at the new one on Jump this week? Ayashimon. I'm about to read it now so I'll report back with my thoughts later...

edit: That was a pretty damn fun first chapter :thumbs:

I like the supernatural elements with the monster yakuzas, and I especially like that dude's dream was to get strong and be like a manga hero :rotfl:  There were some great fight panels in this. I liked both the ones where he's just bored knocking down people much weaker than him, and the later panels where he's going all-out and relishing fighting the stronger guys.

Been reading Four Knights of the Apocalypse. Loving it so far. Still very fresh and fun at this point. Reminds me of what the beginning of Sins was like.

Only read the first chapter so far, but I think it’s safe to say that Sakamoto Days is a winner :thumbs:

On 8/22/2021 at 12:36 PM, Jane said:

Anyone here read Witch Hat Atelier?
After meaning to look into reading it for a while, I found that volume 1 in English was sold out EVERYWHERE (there were a few to be found on US/Aus eBay, but the postage...). I think it was only published in 2019, so they must have underestimated how well it would sell. One site said it was being reprinted, but no estimate as to when it'd be available again. I've checked a couple of times since then, and yesterday I finally found a copy for about RRP on book depository, hooray! :mosh: I really do prefer reading longer-form comics and manga in a book to on a screen if possible, so I'm pretty pleased.

I have to confess not looking into what it's actually about much - the combination of the amazing artwork, the aesthetic and seemingly wholesome fantasy vibe is enough for me (I get the feeling if I googled it more I'd run into plot spoilers, rule 34 or both  :uhoh: ). But I'm looking forward to reading it.

Very belated update.. I LOVE it. Makes me feel like being a kid again. :loved:  It's so cute, story is adorable and the artwork is incredible - contemporary but with enough shades of old-fashioned fantasy to really amp up the nostalgia for 80s kids.

I'd buy some more volumes but at this point I'm hoping to get a couple for Christmas. :lurk:

Also... I may have caved and started buying the collector's edition volumes of Maison Ikkoku. :uhoh: I just love it so much. And tbh it seems like you have to just go for it with these things these days, or the short print run will mean that if you change your mind in a few years' time you'll be looking at stupid money for some or all of the volumes.

DB Super #78 - Another solid chapter. This arc has been constantly very good IMO. 

I figured Vegeta was going to give the Senzu bean to Granolah, but it was cool to see it happen anyhow. I’m sure I’ve said it before: Vegeta has grown a lot as a character in Super. I like it.

Dr. Stone #219

The moon mission team is set! Very cool to see Kohaku make the cut. Tsukasa’s reasoning is of course very sound as to why she’s the most suitable. 

I’m still waiting for another Suika/Chrome/Sai chapter…

Also, I’ve been wondering: What if Xeno is actually a bad guy / connected with Why-man? This plan conveniently requires him to stay behind on Earth, sending three of the Science Kingdom’s strongest people on a one-way trip to the moon while they are petrified. That would be convenient timing for Xeno — or whoever the mole is, if there is one — to take over control on Earth and try to re-petrify everybody. That would be an interesting twist.

Ayashimon #2 — Not as good as the first chapter, but also not terrible. I’ll keep reading :shrug:

I don’t have any spoiler-y comments for PPPPPP but I am still enjoying it. 

Gotta wait another week for more Elusive Samurai :-/

Dr. Stone #220

Spoiler

Oh, man, bringing back Stanley is probably already generating a bunch of theories on the internet.  That was a pretty shocking ending actually.  A bit of personal disappointment because I love Ryusui and loved the idea of him manning the rocket, but choosing to revive Stanley makes a lot of sense.  Definitely some tension there with the idea that this could be the thing that gives Xeno leverage again, but I'm imagining at this point Stanley is going to see the benefit of what the Kingdom of Science is doing and will roll with it.

Ayashimon

Spoiler

Wasn't too sure how I felt about it after the first chapter.  It kinda came off like One Punch Man, but I think the tone of the manga is really cool.  And with the later chapters, it's actually sort of like the reverse One Punch Man.  Instead of it being about a guy who got too strong and is now bored with the superhero world, it's someone who got too strong and didn't know manga-level enemies existed until now, so his boredom has turned to excitement.  I'm curious enough to follow along and see where it goes.

Liking all the other stuff, too, though I don't have much to say about it in particular.  The most recent PPPPPP chapter was another misstep in pacing/framing(I forgot who Masashi even was until going back), but the drama and development unfolding between Lucky and Reijiro is really compelling.

Dr. Stone

I totally forgot that Stanley even existed :lol: Great ending to that chapter. I was legit surprised. But yeah it totally makes sense for him to be the pilot. What are the odds he actually cooperates if/when they revive him..?

I am also enjoying all the other stuff I'm following. PPPPPP continues to be compelling in spite of its flaws. Elusive Samurai is still good stuff. I'm maybe a bit opposite to you re: Ayashimon in that I thought the 1st chapter was strongest, and the following ones were a bit weaker, but I am still interested enough to keep reading it for a while. There are some fun ideas in there.

Did you read DB Super 78? Great stuff.

Also, I noticed what appears to be a new title on the Jump app (Doron Dororon) as well as a new Choujin X chapter so I gotta check those out later.

DB Super 78 was excellent.  Each chapter has me on the edge of my seat.  My dumbass actually didn't realize what Vegeta was doing until he landed next to Granolah.  Great stuff.

Show-ha Shoten #3 was pretty good

Spoiler

This chapter didn't focus so much on how good the comedy was, allowing it to focus on the drama and the action-like tension of them figuring out how to win the competition.  That made me enjoy immensely more without being distracted by, "I just don't get how this is funny." I was actually upset the chapter ended and was hungry for more.  So let's see where it goes.

Same same for Show-ha Shoten! #3. I noticed it on the Jump app and thought, "Sure, whatever..." with fairly low expectations. In the end, I wanted it to be longer and I'm pumped for chapter #4 (which of course means it has a high chance of being a let-down chapter :rotfl:

Dr. Stone #221

Well that was easy! Stanley’s on board, unless something goes wrong next chapter..? Seems like they’re just moving along towards the moon mission though. Time for Sai, Suika, and Chrome to shine!

PPPPPP #12

A very nice, feel-good chapter. This is the sort of thing I’d hope to see animated someday.

Pretty much echo what you said with those two.

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

Saying Ryusui break down was harsh, but I also like Stanley shooting the targets, which I think was his way of saying, "I know it hurts, but rest easy: you made the right decision."

Also checked out Doron Dororon.  Ended up liking it a good deal

Spoiler

My first reaction a few pages in was "Oh, great, another Shonen about monsters," and I mean...it's not like the whole concept isn't a cliche.  But the execution was done well, and I like the relationship between Dora and Kusanagi.  The art is pretty slick, too.  Ultimately, I think I like this more than Ayashimon, but we'll see if it has any actual legs to stand on.

Yeah Doron Dororon is off to a decent start. I will keep reading it :thumbs: If it doesn’t become popular then I can see it getting an abrupt and disappointing ending, like some other ones recently. Only time will tell. 

Dr. Stone #222

Spoiler

Yep, this is definitely nearing the end.  Whatever happens on the moon will be the final chapter.  The way they blitzed through a bunch of inventions and highlighted how the roadmap ultimately led to all this...they're prepping for the swansong.

8 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Dr. Stone #222

Reveal hidden contents

Yep, this is definitely nearing the end.  Whatever happens on the moon will be the final chapter.  The way they blitzed through a bunch of inventions and highlighted how the roadmap ultimately led to all this...they're prepping for the swansong.

I wasn’t loving this chapter at first, but the ending made me come around. The last few pages especially, with the whole roadmap leading up to the rocket stop being complete. Let’s get going to the moon!

Just got caught up on Sakamoto Days. I picked a good time! Last few chapters have been exciting. 

All the other new chapters were solid this week too. No major stand-outs, but everything was good. 

The winter anime season doesn't seem like it will have much to offer me aside from SnK, and I'm running low on books to read in the evenings too, so I'm thinking of reading some more manga this winter. Two candidates right now are Demon Slayer (pros: it's done and all available on the Jump app) and Jujutsu Kaisen (pros: again, on the Jump app, and I enjoyed the first season of anime quite a bit). I might want to read The Promised Neverland as well, because the anime really went sideways and I probably missed a lot by not reading the manga. Got any other suggestions for me?

I've been tabling literally all three of those for months now just waiting until I get the urge to sink in deep.  Jujutsu Kaisen will probably come first since I'm watching the Demon Slayer anime.

Kaiju No. 8 has been a pretty worthy investment so far.  The premise for the protagonist breaks the mold a bit for your typical battle shonen protagonist.  It also does both an excellent job of playing on the developing relationships between characters as well just some incredible action panels.  It had some moments early on where it felt like it might lull, but followed by along the last 10-15 chapters have been hella rewarding.

I've also been really enjoying the latest couple arcs for My Hero a lot, but if you've given it a go before and wasn't a fan, I'm not sure if this will change much.

I also enjoy Undead Unlucky, but it had a moment where it felt like it was rushing to an end before it kept going more, and while there have been some great moments, it feels a bit like I'm following it just because I've gotten so far.

I think I've decided to start with Jujutsu Kaisen first. IIRC the anime ended at around chapter 60-something in the manga, so I'm looking at just over 100 chapters to get current. I probably had about the same amount of reading to do when I started getting caught up on Dr. Stone, and that didn't take me too long.

I can get around to Demon Slayer later, or maybe just start watching the anime. I think I'd rather just read the manga and forget about the anime though.

I never gave My Hero Academia a chance. There was a lot of hype over the anime when it started, and lots of people seemed to like it, so I guess I just looked the other way instead... :lolgrin:  Too much to catch up on if I start reading/watching it now, so it's off the table!

• Like 1

Dr. Stone #223

We have lift off!! Super curious to see the next chapter. This one was great. 

Taiju is still the best btw

The Elusive Samurai 

I didn’t like the introduction of an annoying new character. Everything up to that point in the chapter was good though. We’re building up towards a larger uprising. Everybody seems to be more resolved and connected than ever before. Tokiyuki is bringing them all together.

DB Super #79

Ah, yes, the old "I wasn't using my full power" trick. I didn't enjoy this chapter as much as the last few, but I think the fight between Granolah and Gas can still get better yet.

Dr. Stone

Can't believe they actually made it to space! :O.O: :shiny: 

Dr. Stone

Nice to see that Ryusui snuck his way into space. I knew something was up once the problems started happening. Great way to make an entrance!

Still waiting for when they cross paths with Rei...

Elusive Samurai

This was a very nice chapter. I'm still not a huge fan of the new character, but I've warmed up a little bit.

Sakamoto Days

I really want to know more about dude with the katana...

On 1/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, dr. b said:

Dr. Stone

Hide contents

Nice to see that Ryusui snuck his way into space. I knew something was up once the problems started happening. Great way to make an entrance!

Still waiting for when they cross paths with Rei...

Elusive Samurai

Reveal hidden contents

This was a very nice chapter. I'm still not a huge fan of the new character, but I've warmed up a little bit.

Sakamoto Days

Reveal hidden contents

I really want to know more about dude with the katana...

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

Man, the chapter when they first went to space was breathtaking. I loved the art and going through Senku's memories and such.  Was also sick to see Ryusui made it.  That'll be a really fun episode or two to animate.

Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

Not necessarily a fan of the new character, but I respect the role he plays in the story.  The arc talking about his hair leading to the climax of this chapter was really good.

Sakamoto Days

Spoiler

I love the hidden lore of The Order.  And the escalation of this manga has been great.  The action got intense, but it's still heartfelt.

Katana dude is a badass.  I wonder if Sakamoto with have to clash with him and any of The Order at one point?

Also, I just realized that the first syllable of each Origami child is solfege.

Dr. Stone

I've said this a few times already, but this is all happening really fast! About to set foot on the moon :shiny: There were some very nice panels in this week's chapter.

Kind of an ass-pull that Ryusei was able to bring the exact part that was needed in the spaceship, but whatever... I'm long since over getting hung up on stuff like that :lol: 

• ROFL 1

Seriously :rip: I’m super curious to see what comes next in 228!

The Elusive Samurai #48

Feels like we're building up to something big here. I'm looking forward to what happens with Tokiyuki in Kyo. Also, I think the Tengu are pretty cool bad guys.

Sakamoto Days #56

So the old dude is called Mr. Takamura. Now tell me more already!!!

Nothing too remarkable about the other new chapters this weekend. As I was reading Doron Dororon, I started to get the feeling it was just going to randomly end, but the last page says 'To be continued!' so I guess it hasn't been cancelled yet.

Have you read Protect Me, Shugomaru?  I gave the first couple chapters a shot even though I wasn't immediately enamored, but it's actually a pretty fun little gag manga.  I wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to read it if you're not that interested, but I guess I'm at the point now where I've read enough to where I feel like I have to follow.  Plus, it started getting a tad more interesting.  The premise was a bit tiresome up that point.

I don't think I even noticed that one. Maybe I'll have a look later. My reading list has gotten a bit long again so I might want to wait for a couple things to end before I add more to the pile.

The Elusive Samurai #48

Spoiler

Part of me is wondering if the other Hojo survivor is actually going to sell Tokiyuki out.  He seems like the type that can't actually hide anything, but his sudden appearance has me a bit wary.

36 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

The Elusive Samurai #48

Reveal hidden contents

Part of me is wondering if the other Hojo survivor is actually going to sell Tokiyuki out.  He seems like the type that can't actually hide anything, but his sudden appearance has me a bit wary.

Yeah the uncle is pretty sus, but it seems too predictable for him to sell out on Tokiyuki. Maybe there's a bit more of a twist, like he appears to betray Tokiyuki, but it’s actually a long con and in the end he helps Tokiyuki and screws over the other guys. Or maybe he’s just a comic relief character that never does much of anything. I think he’ll play a bit of a role somehow though.

• Like 1

Going for the obvious Dr. Stone prediction

Spoiler

Time-traveled Senku :rotfl:

Literally, though.  I'm racking my brain trying to think what it could be that could make them all react like that.  It makes me feel like it has to be something we could have seen coming in some way, right?  I know it can be notorious for asspulls like Ryusui having the part, but if the reveal is anything that's supposed to make is go, "Oh shit!" I can't think of what it will be at all without being something off the wall.

7 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Going for the obvious Dr. Stone prediction

Hide contents

Time-traveled Senku :rotfl:

Literally, though.  I'm racking my brain trying to think what it could be that could make them all react like that.  It makes me feel like it has to be something we could have seen coming in some way, right?  I know it can be notorious for asspulls like Ryusui having the part, but if the reveal is anything that's supposed to make is go, "Oh shit!" I can't think of what it will be at all without being something off the wall.

Yeah I’m stumped. If I was a real sicko then I’d start going over old chapters to try to find hints, because I agree that it could be something that we maybe could have seen coming if we really looked for it… but I don’t got time for that

:lolgrin: I’m pretty excited for the next chapter. Hopefully it isn’t a let down!

Show-ha Shoten #5 — This was a pretty solid chapter, overall. Nice to learn a bit more about some of the other characters aside from Shijima.

I especially like this dude :rotfl:

F963FE59-D27C-4DA7-BB15-DD434973A315.jpeg

Dr. Stone #228 — definitely didn’t expect that!

I only ever thought of the Medusa as a device, so it never occurred to me that they could actually be some kind of life form. That’s an interesting twist. I’m definitely curious to learn more about their motives for petrifying humanity.

Dr Stone 228

Spoiler

This is one of those times where one of my joking "theories" I make while talking with someone turns out to be real and it still catches me off guard. I'm more than ready for a conclusion to this series at this point, so I'm hoping there's a good batch of lore dump and then we wrap up with how the world proceeds from there. 

8 minutes ago, Anelle said:

Dr Stone 228

Reveal hidden contents

This is one of those times where one of my joking "theories" I make while talking with someone turns out to be real and it still catches me off guard. I'm more than ready for a conclusion to this series at this point, so I'm hoping there's a good batch of lore dump and then we wrap up with how the world proceeds from there. 

I assume we get a few chapters learning more about the Medusas, then maybe some tense negotiations between humans and them to ultimately find a way to live together beneficially. Or maybe they just petrify everybody again and that’s that

:rotfl: