Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

[Manga Chat]

The new Candy Flurry and Elusive Samurai chapters were solid. I’m looking forward to the upcoming showdowns in each next week!

Dr. Stone is progressing pretty quickly.

The calculator was pretty rad!

Candy Flurry took a rather random turn this week. 

The Elusive Samurai was once again very solid this week. Kojiro :cool:

Yeah, I just read the most recent Candy Flurry, and I'm just wondering if this is like a new direction or what, though I kinda like the shark jump.  Curious to read the follow up coming out today.

Yeah man, I totally don't know. That was a real curveball in last week's chapter. I haven't read the new one yet, though I see it's available now in the Jump app. Very curious what is going to happen... I hope it's good! I've been enjoying Candy Flurry quite a bit so far.

Candy Flurry #19

The… end!? That was disappointing…

The Elusive Samurai #31

I really enjoyed this chapter. There were some really nice panels, and it was a great cap to this bit of the story.

This dude still kills me too :rotfl:

3E3DCA66-2B70-4E73-8F1E-F1114FA97737.jpeg

Dr. Stone #210

This chapter was fuckin rad. Suika and Sai were both instant favourite characters for me. Chrome took quite a while to win me over, but I appreciate him now. What a great team to of characters to solve the ‘one-way’ problem. That full page panel of Chrome, page 12 I think, was awesome.

13 hours ago, dr. b said:

Candy Flurry #19

Hide contents

The… end!? That was disappointing…

Spoiler

Yeah, I had that feeling in my stomach a bit as I was halfway through the chapter.  Looks like the concept didn't catch on at all, which is unfortunate.  It was pretty fun and I thought could maybe a fun short-run series, but I didn't want THAT short.

Definitely explains the randomness of the Mecha popping up.

The Hunters Guild 10

Spoiler

I'm really digging the Debarkation Exam.  A great opportunity to introduce a slough of characters, show off Velou's strategizing, and has that intrigue if seeing if the plan works out.  They're off to a good start.  Here's hoping this series has more going for it than Candy Flurry did

3 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

The Hunters Guild 10

Reveal hidden contents

I'm really digging the Debarkation Exam.  A great opportunity to introduce a slough of characters, show off Velou's strategizing, and has that intrigue if seeing if the plan works out.  They're off to a good start.  Here's hoping this series has more going for it than Candy Flurry did

There were some panels in this one where I was pretty clueless as to what was supposed to be happening, but it all made sense in the end. For me, this is a 'It would be really cool to see it animated' manga so far. But in any case, I am enjoying the chapters about the exam!

Yeah, while I dig the aesthetic of the art, there are certainly a lot of action panels where I'm kinda just going along with it rather than knowing exactly what's happening.

I had similar issues with Chainsaw Man, though, and thankfully the plot is interesting enough so far to make up for missing any action.

18 hours ago, dr. b said:

Dr. Stone #210

Hide contents

This chapter was fuckin rad. Suika and Sai were both instant favourite characters for me. Chrome took quite a while to win me over, but I appreciate him now. What a great team to of characters to solve the ‘one-way’ problem. That full page panel of Chrome, page 12 I think, was awesome.

This all the way.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Spoiler

I think the side arc of Suika and Chrome working together to make a return rocket in secret really adds more intrigue to this portion.  We've seen the usual "Senku gives the directions, they get over minor obstacles, and the product is made" formula, so it's nice to see that while the main rocket is following that trajectory, we'll get this bit underneath where the untested scientists will get to prove their worth removed from Senku.

17 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

This all the way.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reveal hidden contents

I think the side arc of Suika and Chrome working together to make a return rocket in secret really adds more intrigue to this portion.  We've seen the usual "Senku gives the directions, they get over minor obstacles, and the product is made" formula, so it's nice to see that while the main rocket is following that trajectory, we'll get this bit underneath where the untested scientists will get to prove their worth removed from Senku.

It will be pretty hilarious though if Suika and Chrome go through all this work to try to find a solution, and then they present it to Senku and he's just like "NOPE that won't work" :rotfl:  Or "Actually, I already figured it out myself but thanks anyways!" In any case, however it goes in the end, there should be some fun character development and stuff going on for Suika and Chrome in upcoming chapters. And Sai's cool too, so I'm happy to see him featured more.

---

29 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

I had similar issues with Chainsaw Man, though, and thankfully the plot is interesting enough so far to make up for missing any action.

Yeah me too. In the end, I always get the gist of what has transpired, like who won a fight in the end or whatever, but there are certain panels in both manga where I'm sure there must be certain actions happening, but the pictures just baffle me :lolgrin: Like, I'm trying to see what the artist is envisioning by drawing the panel, and it's just not getting through to me at all. Chainsaw Man will be fun to see animated for sure.

• Shiny 1

New chapters hit the Jump app a few days early this week. Also there’s a new series, a music manga :music: Gonna check it out this afternoon. 

Jump says a new Spy x Family chapter is due in 2 days. Hopefully that's still accurate.

Dr. Stone #211

That was fast! Now we got rubber and rice, and it's time for a triumphant return to Japan. Can't help but wonder if this is where things will take a turn..? Everything's been so easy. Maybe they come back to the group in Japan and they're in a crisis of some sort..? Or maybe the story just plows ahead to the space mission, I dunno. We'll see soon, I guess. 

I wanted more of the Suika, Sai, and Chrome team in this chapter...

The Elusive Samurai #32

I rather enjoyed this one. Pretty cool fishing trip! Tokiyuki looked so happy. And now we're planning to take back Kamakura! :cool: 

PPPPPP 1

Spoiler

Man, this tugged at my heartstrings.  A lot to relate to here, both in things I've felt about myself and people I love having to deal with insecurities and such.  I thought the art style as kinda rough at points, but I think that it actually works with the character of the protagonist and how he's supposed to be mediocre.

Really looking forward to follow this one.

I’m not in love with the style and character designs of PPPPPP, but I’m sticking with it for the underdog story and music :nod:

The mum is gonna die soon though, isn’t she..?

:sad:

1 hour ago, dr. b said:

I’m not in love with the style and character designs of PPPPPP, but I’m sticking with it for the underdog story and music :nod:

Hide contents

The mum is gonna die soon though, isn’t she..?

:sad:

Yeah, I had the same problem.  Like I said, though, I think it sort of works with the story/characterization

It definitely made it harder to get attached to at first.

DB Super #76

Continuing to add more depth to Vegeta's character. This battle has really been a wild ride. Interesting twist at the end there too--perhaps this is turning point where Granolah stops fighting with Vegeta and Goku and they all realize who the real enemies are..? It's hard to imagine the Heeters standing a chance against any of Goku, Vegeta, or Granolah though, so something else has to happen. Maybe more Dragon Ball wish shenanigans? Or Frieza comes back again? Curious to see where it goes.

• Like 1

Dr. Stone #212

I am still left wanting to see more of Suika, Chrome, and Sai working on their special project… But this chapter was pretty fun anyhow. Things are going so fast. Everybody in Japan is back in action.

Neru -- New character seems cool. 

Hunter's Guild -- I didn't find this week's chapter particularly interesting, so here's hoping for more excitement next week.

Still gotta read chapter #2 of PPPPPP.

PPPPPP #2

Yep, mum's dying... :crying2:

This competition between Lucky and Furusu probably won't amount to much, even though it's being framed as a big important thing. It's gotta work out for Lucky somehow--maybe they both end up as students for that teacher?

17 hours ago, dr. b said:

Dr. Stone #212

Hide contents

I am still left wanting to see more of Suika, Chrome, and Sai working on their special project… But this chapter was pretty fun anyhow. Things are going so fast. Everybody in Japan is back in action.

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling this is either closing in on the big climax or shit's gonna get really fucked when they get to space.  Like you said, it's been pretty easy since they handled Stanley and Xeno, so it feels like we're due for another major obstacle.

18 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling this is either closing in on the big climax or shit's gonna get really fucked when they get to space.  Like you said, it's been pretty easy since they handled Stanley and Xeno, so it feels like we're due for another major obstacle.

Yeah, it feels to me like this is the beginning of the final story arc, but even then, I would think it will take a while yet to end. Usually the good guys don't win on the first try, so I expect there will be some failures and challenges to come. For a long time, I didn't actually believe that they would make it into space, like eventually they'd realize that it was just too complicated and difficult to do in the stone world... but it sure seems like they're going to be flying up into space. And I'm hoping they hook up with Rei when they get up there.

PPPPPP 3

Spoiler

Kinda figured it was something like that.  I feel like the framing of the manga is a bit hard to follow.  Like when he was playing the piece for Furusu and the instructor, it felt like everything that happened was vomited out and glossed over, and it wasn't always easy to tell what exactly was happening...which is odd for a non-battle manga.  Already feeling like this is something that could translate much better as an anime, but who knows if it'll even last that long.

2 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

PPPPPP 3

Hide contents

Kinda figured it was something like that.  I feel like the framing of the manga is a bit hard to follow.  Like when he was playing the piece for Furusu and the instructor, it felt like everything that happened was vomited out and glossed over, and it wasn't always easy to tell what exactly was happening...which is odd for a non-battle manga.  Already feeling like this is something that could translate much better as an anime, but who knows if it'll even last that long.

Yeah, this chapter was all over the map. I don't doubt it could be made to be much more coherent as an animation.

Even the first few pages, it's all kind of mushed together, Lucky wondering what he can do to win, bumping into Furusu in the yard, then he's with the teacher and Dada somehow guesses that Lucky is Otogami's abandoned child. Also, Furusu's motivation and desire for revenge is pretty unbelievable :lol: But OK whatever. I like that it only took one chapter for the teacher to accept Lucky as a student, and now we're moving along quickly to trying to defeat one of the older siblings instead of dwelling on a meaningless contest between Lucky and Furusu.

Gotta say, I'm pretty hyped for the doubles match coming up in Neru :shiny: 

Also :uhoh: Tokiyuki is not in a good spot in The Elusive Warriors right now. I'm super curious to see how the next chapter goes.

1 hour ago, dr. b said:

Gotta say, I'm pretty hyped for the doubles match coming up in Neru :shiny: 

Also :uhoh: Tokiyuki is not in a good spot in The Elusive Warriors right now. I'm super curious to see how the next chapter goes.

Yeah, Neru's moving along at a nice clip with some interesting characters.  Still really digging the art style, too.  It feels classic, but stands out from a lot of the stuff today.

The Elusive Samurai felt a bit uneventful, but the build-up really has me hyped for the verbal clash that's about to occur.

I feel a bit like the arc in Hunter's guild could maybe move a bit faster.  Last week's chapter was fine getting some background for Bonkers, but this one felt more like treading water.  But I like some of the characters introduced so far and am really looking forward to Velou's proper training once they get off the ship.

Unless they pull a twist where they're thrust into danger immediately after the Debarkation Exam.  Which I wouldn't be surprised with this manga so far.

Also, it just struck me there was no Dr. Stone this week.  A bit of a shame, but there's a solid roster of new series right now that it's not as noticeable.  I'm still like 5 weeks behind on Undead Unluck, Witch Watch, and Sakamoto Days.

I also really dig the art style of Neru. 

In addition to the verbal clash / interrogation coming up in The Elusive Samurai, I think Ayako will do something big in the next chapter too. She’s a fun character. It will be nice to see her more involved. 

Good point re: Hunter’s Guild. This series feels rather slow compared to some of the other manga I’m reading now. I will lose interest before long, at this rate. 

PPPPPP 4

Spoiler

I get the feeling Reijiro isn't actually nasty like that and is actually trying to keep his brother from living the overbearing lifestyle that he clearly deals with.  You can already kind of predict what'll happen here, but I'm interested to follow this arc for a few chapters.

7 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

PPPPPP 4

Reveal hidden contents

I get the feeling Reijiro isn't actually nasty like that and is actually trying to keep his brother from living the overbearing lifestyle that he clearly deals with.  You can already kind of predict what'll happen here, but I'm interested to follow this arc for a few chapters.

Yeah it kinda seems like an act… but maybe not..? We’ll see soon, I guess

Dr. Stone #213

The computer is pretty darn cool. Everything’s still going too easily…

There we go!!! :uhoh: 

The Elusive Samurai #35

That was a pretty random ending

:rotfl:

1 hour ago, dr. b said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah it kinda seems like an act… but maybe not..? We’ll see soon, I guess

Dr. Stone #213

Reveal hidden contents

The computer is pretty darn cool. Everything’s still going too easily…

There we go!!! :uhoh: 

The Elusive Samurai #35

Reveal hidden contents

That was a pretty random ending

:rotfl:

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

Yeah, was literally thinking about how we were just talking about this.  Super curious what this means.  Is Why-man able to remotely activate individual medusas?  Is there some kind of mole in the group somehow(probably unlikely, but not impossible)?  Definitely a lot of intrigue with how this is going to affect their mission and how Senku chooses to move forward.  If it's the first option, then they are fuuuuucked holding on to any medusas.

The Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

This was done so cool.  Really liked the shadow archery battle going on between their barbs.  It's also always cool seeing how Tokiyuki ends up thriving in these odd sink or swim situations that aren't always directly combat-related.  It's pretty amazing in general how I went from unimpressed to being floored by how well this series is handled.  Miles above Assasination Classroom from what I've watched, too.

The Hunters Guild 14

Spoiler

Thankfully, looks like the mangaka knew not to drag this out too long.  Here's to the next arc being a bit more invigorating.  I generally liked this ending, though.  Did a good job of highlighting Velou's ability to strategize and bring people together even if he's not physically impressive.  That's what he'll get better at in following chapters assumingly.

Neru 13

Spoiler

A bit laidback of a chapter.  A lot of setup and a bit of characterization, but again, the part that made this read shine even in it's relative dullness is the art.  Not only is the style great, but the action panels are often drawn so convincingly.  You can kind of feel what's happening in each frame and follow most of it pretty easily, which as I've read more manga recently...I'm realizing isn't that easy to do, or at least not as common as you'd hope.

Also, Kaiju No. 8 was really good this week.  Really good action and some evolution of the protagonist's abilities.  The last few chapters were a bit weak in week-to-week waiting,  but this chapter felt like a pretty good payoff for the patience.

11 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Dr. Stone

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, was literally thinking about how we were just talking about this.  Super curious what this means.  Is Why-man able to remotely activate individual medusas?  Is there some kind of mole in the group somehow(probably unlikely, but not impossible)?  Definitely a lot of intrigue with how this is going to affect their mission and how Senku chooses to move forward.  If it's the first option, then they are fuuuuucked holding on to any medusas.

The Elusive Samurai

Reveal hidden contents

This was done so cool.  Really liked the shadow archery battle going on between their barbs.  It's also always cool seeing how Tokiyuki ends up thriving in these odd sink or swim situations that aren't always directly combat-related.  It's pretty amazing in general how I went from unimpressed to being floored by how well this series is handled.  Miles above Assasination Classroom from what I've watched, too.

The Hunters Guild 14

Reveal hidden contents

Thankfully, looks like the mangaka knew not to drag this out too long.  Here's to the next arc being a bit more invigorating.  I generally liked this ending, though.  Did a good job of highlighting Velou's ability to strategize and bring people together even if he's not physically impressive.  That's what he'll get better at in following chapters assumingly.

Neru 13

Reveal hidden contents

A bit laidback of a chapter.  A lot of setup and a bit of characterization, but again, the part that made this read shine even in it's relative dullness is the art.  Not only is the style great, but the action panels are often drawn so convincingly.  You can kind of feel what's happening in each frame and follow most of it pretty easily, which as I've read more manga recently...I'm realizing isn't that easy to do, or at least not as common as you'd hope.

Also, Kaiju No. 8 was really good this week.  Really good action and some evolution of the protagonist's abilities.  The last few chapters were a bit weak in week-to-week waiting,  but this chapter felt like a pretty good payoff for the patience.

Dr. Stone

Yeah my first thought was maybe there's a traitor in the group, though I have no clue how that could be possible... Could Why-man have an accomplice that was left to be petrified on Earth so that if humanity ever returned and un-petrified everybody, this person could then work to undo all the progress that was made..? Seems unlikely, but that would be an interesting angle. Who could it be!

Yeah, The Elusive Samurai has been great. I still think the final few panels of this chapter were pretty weird and hilarious though :rotfl: 

Hunter's Guild

I am glad that the exam is over. I'll be honest: I am still really struggling to read this and figure out what is happening in the action panels... but at least we've moved on from the exam with the outcome that everybody knew was coming anyways, without dragging it out. That was a pleasant surprise, even if I don't totally know how it happened!

Neru continues to be great. This chapter was a good build up for what will hopefully be a very exciting chapter next week!

I meant to have a look at Kaiju No. 8 a while back but never got around to it... 46 chapters won't be too hard to catch up on if I like, so maybe I'll have a look at that one night this week.

PPPPPP 5

Spoiler

I think there's a lot of potential for some really cool scenes with the way they focus on the images conjured by the players.  This chapter felt easier to follow for the most part.  I also like that we're jumping right into the competition with Reijiro.  Something tells me Lucky's entire journey is going to be a matter of sink or swim opportunities.

Dr. Stone 214

Spoiler

Rei incoming? :mosh:

Sakamoto Days has been extra violent lately.  Really digging the direction of the current arc so far.

Neru 14

Spoiler

A bit of a calm before the storm type of episode.  I had a good laugh at Neruma bending dude's blade and him not knowing Neru was using it.  And again, some of the action panels in this chapter were just beautiful.  I assume the next chapter will be a bit more wild.

15 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

PPPPPP 5

Reveal hidden contents

I think there's a lot of potential for some really cool scenes with the way they focus on the images conjured by the players.  This chapter felt easier to follow for the most part.  I also like that we're jumping right into the competition with Reijiro.  Something tells me Lucky's entire journey is going to be a matter of sink or swim opportunities.

Dr. Stone 214

Reveal hidden contents

Rei incoming? :mosh:

PPPPPP

Yeah, the artist can have some fun with this idea of music conjuring up images / taking people places. I still think something's up with Reijiro. Lucky will win him over eventually.

Dr. Stone

All this talk about rockets to the moon, and it never occurred to me that they could first try to launch a satellite or something other than a manned rocket. So curious to see if their satellite can send back some images of what is on the moon!

Also, I guess Seiku is basically a human radar gun? :rotfl: I get the explanation about how he know it was only going to be a ~ 20 m radius blast from the medusa, but to be able to measure that just with the naked eye... oh, whatever :shrug: 

Gen looked pretty suspect in some panels in this chapter, but that's not uncommon for Gen, I guess. Probably just a red herring..?

11 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Sakamoto Days has been extra violent lately.  Really digging the direction of the current arc so far.

Neru 14

Reveal hidden contents

A bit of a calm before the storm type of episode.  I had a good laugh at Neruma bending dude's blade and him not knowing Neru was using it.  And again, some of the action panels in this chapter were just beautiful.  I assume the next chapter will be a bit more wild.

I still never got 'round to checking out Sakamoto Days...

Neru

I also expect the next chapter to get pretty wild. I am hopeful for an exciting conclusion to the fight, though I am curious to see how long it takes for it all to play out. Could take a few chapters with all the factors at play.

The Elusive Samurai #36

Ayako saves the day!

:shiny: I think the last couple pages were a bit disappointing for me, like she can just be a strong female character without the 'bearing children' stuff, but it was also kinda cute because they're just kids after all.

1 hour ago, dr. b said:

PPPPPP

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, the artist can have some fun with this idea of music conjuring up images / taking people places. I still think something's up with Reijiro. Lucky will win him over eventually.

Dr. Stone

Hide contents

All this talk about rockets to the moon, and it never occurred to me that they could first try to launch a satellite or something other than a manned rocket. So curious to see if their satellite can send back some images of what is on the moon!

Also, I guess Seiku is basically a human radar gun? :rotfl: I get the explanation about how he know it was only going to be a ~ 20 m radius blast from the medusa, but to be able to measure that just with the naked eye... oh, whatever :shrug: 

Gen looked pretty suspect in some panels in this chapter, but that's not uncommon for Gen, I guess. Probably just a red herring..?

I still never got 'round to checking out Sakamoto Days...

Neru

Hide contents

I also expect the next chapter to get pretty wild. I am hopeful for an exciting conclusion to the fight, though I am curious to see how long it takes for it all to play out. Could take a few chapters with all the factors at play.

The Elusive Samurai #36

Hide contents

Ayako saves the day!

:shiny: I think the last couple pages were a bit disappointing for me, like she can just be a strong female character without the 'bearing children' stuff, but it was also kinda cute because they're just kids after all.

Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

I assume that historically they end up together.  I feel it was more just a way of establishing how deep her love and appreciation is for him while slipping in some of their characteristic humor.  It was definitely fun watching her beat up old dude, though.  I'm curious where the next chapter leads us.

Just now, Psycho666Soldier said:

Elusive Samurai

Hide contents

I assume that historically they end up together.  I feel it was more just a way of establishing how deep her love and appreciation is for him while slipping in some of their characteristic humor.  It was definitely fun watching her beat up old dude, though.  I'm curious where the next chapter leads us.

Yeah, I also tend to think it's period-correct or whatever, but I guess I don't think it was necessary. But it was cute too. I guess I'm undecided! And yeah, Ayako's style of fighting is great. Not necessarily adept with weapons, but she gets the job done with whatever's available. And it's amusing to see her have such brute strength.

Hunters Guild continues to confuse me a bit... I assume it will make sense eventually :lolgrin: 

DB Super #77

I rather enjoyed this chapter and the back story between Bardock and Granolah. Gotta figure that Goku and Vegeta still want to fight more with Granolah, just to see who’s stronger, and maybe Granolah still hasn’t given up on his desire for revenge completely yet… but I assume this will be the turning point where they work together to go after the Heeters. I still don’t really know though how any of the Heeters could come close to Goku, Vegeta, or Granolah though. I guess it’s time for more dragon ball shenanigans.

Choujin X #11 — this series has been pretty random so far but I’m still reading. There’s a baseball choujin :shiny:

Didn’t read today’s new chapters of other stuff yet…

Neru #15 and #16

Chapter 15 was mostly a tease, but we finally got some better action in chapter 16. The fight didn't quite live up to the hype I had for it, but it had a satisfactory ending anyways. Neru got Ryuzen back on track and they won. And the manga still looks great. Love the art style. I'm not sure if I like the super-random introduction of Neru's mum at the end of chapter 16 though... that was a curveball!

Dr. Stone #216

I thought the pace might slow a tad after all the rocket failures in last week's chapter, but I was wrong about that :lol: Now we got a satellite, space telescope, and we've found a suspicious spot on the moon! :O.O: The first page or two tricked me into thinking this would be a chapter focused on Suika and Chrome. I hope that is coming soon, because they've clearly got a lot of work to do on the return-trip rocket idea of theirs...

The Elusive Samurai :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: @ Unno 

PPPPPP #7

Lucky is starting to win a few more people over, it looks like! "He's a monster" :thumbs: 

I pretty much mirror what you said with Neru, though I didn't mind the random end as much since the manga's still developing in the early stages.

I also checked out Show-ha Shoten and I think I'll give it a few chapters.  My only real criticism is that for being a manga about comedy, the comedy isn't that funny for most of the first chapter.  Still, I kinda dig the premise and am interested in following the characters, so I'll give it a couple chapters.  Unless it's like some weird 2-chapter miniseries or something.

I’m gonna look at Show-ha Shoten! later today. The Jump app says a new chapter is coming in 30 days, but of course that doesn’t tell us how much longer it could go after that. 

I get the feeling Hunter's Guild is in it's way out.  We're getting a lot of exposition that feels like mid-series revelations at best, if not straight up endgame.  And every time a manga has suddenly ramped up and seemed to jump ahead with no real predication, it's because it wasn't too successful and is just rushing to the end.  Same thing happened with Zipman(which was pretty lame by Ch. 4 tbh).

Spoiler

Maybe this is the beginning of a setup where the series does a bunch of resets and is maybe even anthological or something.  But I'm definitely getting the vibe it wasn't successful enough to warrant continuing.  Kind of a shame if true because the story premise and setup seems really cool and could have really been great to watch the building intrigue.  Even if the last arc was a bit lacking, I was willing to forgive that since it started really strong and still had a load of potential.

I like the art style of Hunters Guild, and some elements are interesting, but it’s been hard to follow. I actually enjoyed some of the most recent revelations (the book, the guild’s role as caretakers of the book, etc.) but yeah these things feel like discoveries that would be made near the end of the story. Oh well, if Candy Flurry wasn’t good enough to keep going then Hunters Guild isn’t either :badrazz: Wrap it up. 

• ROFL 1

Dr. Stone #216

Spoiler

I had the same thought as you about things slowing down, but having the pace delayed by a chapter actually helped a lot to make it feel like we weren't just zipping straight to the moon.  My guess is Suika and Chrome will be testing, and Senku is ultimately gonna realize what they're doing and help them to make the two-way craft.   But yeah, here's hoping the next chapter is more centered on them.

PPPPPP #7

Spoiler

Pretty solid chapter, but I wish we knew what he played or like...what about it makes these people feel/see these things.  We literally saw one note and the fact he's playing quietly.  I'm gonna need this manga to be successful so I can watch the anime STAT.

Show-ha Shorten! 2

Spoiler

I dunno, man.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't really get what's funny about these jokes.  I got the point about targeting your audience, but the jokes just came down to "I'm mentioning this thing Dad/Mom/Sister are into" without it actually having any real joke.

Part of it might be a cultural difference..? When I lived in Vietnam, I’d often see comedy duos/groups doing specials on TV. They would do skits and things along the lines of what’s going on in this manga. Stuff that my wife and her family found hilarious fell flat to me. It’s not that I didn’t get it. I dunno, it just didn’t make me laugh. If I showed them a Western comedy program that I liked, say The Kids in the Hall, I’d be laughing my head off and they’d probably be like, “What’s funny about this?”