Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

[Manga Chat]

Dr. Stone

Spoiler

Very curious about where Dr. Stone goes from here.  Now that they're actually trying to build for space travel, there's essentially an attainable end goal in sight.  But they're also traveling the world for resources, so that might be the macguffin that keeps them pumping out as much content as needed to fulfill writer/fan enthusiasm.  I'm onboard either way, but I'm very interested to see what happens when they actually leave the planet.

Are you caught up on Candy Flurry?  I still have like 3 chapters to be current.

Yep I’m current with Candy Flurry. Still finding in quite enjoyable :thumbs: 

Dr. Stone

The space travel stuff, if they actually follow through on it, is definitely going to be… interesting. I kinda wonder if something will happen that will render it unnecessary, like whoever/whatever it is on the moon pays them a visit on Earth unexpectedly, so they need to change plans. Doesn’t really feel like that will happen though.

Nice resolution to the mAR story in i tell c chapter 19 :nod:

Candy Flurry chapter 8 set up what should be a good fight in chapter 9 :nod:

Bad guy in recent chapters of The Elusive Samurai is a major creep :shudder: The kids can handle these scumbags though. I like how their little team has come together. 

Dr. Stone chapter 200 — That was fast :rotfl:

Makes to split up into teams. I guess more focus will be on Senku’s team in the coming chapters, finding new cities and gathering more resources… but maybe it will all just get glossed over (basically, everything goes smoothly) and they move along to bigger things, like the moon.

The new chapter of The Elusive Samurai was really good :nod: Candy Flurry continues to be fun too. 

Dr. Stone # 201

Now can we call Why-man "Die-man"? :rotfl: I enjoyed this chapter, I loved the communiqué from Why-man. Spooky stuff.

i tell c was kinda meh. After the mAR chapters, this latest chapter is less interesting/impressive.

Still need to read the new DB Super chapter.

Well, I guess i tell c is finished. I think it would have been fun to continue with the new kid added onto the i division team. (His mom is a real dragon lady though :shudder:) Oh well. It was a fun read. 

The Elusive Samurai chapter 22 :shiny:

DB Super # 73 — I’d like to see this fight with Granolah animated someday! Very curious to see what Vegeta has up his sleeve in the next chapter. 

Just blazed through the rest of i tell c.  Pretty disappointing end considering they never got deeper into the connecting storyline, but sometimes you can't do anything about that.  Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do a big final chapter like they did for Agravity Boys.

I also just read the new series that started today(The Hunter's Guild: Red Hood).  Holy shit, it was pretty awesome.  The art is incredible.  Definitely interested to follow it and see where it leads.

I'm gonna check that out later, didn't get to it earlier. Speaking of new series, I'm still waiting for more Choujin X... I wonder what's going on with that one. The first chapter was enough to pique my interest.

I read Dr. Stone Reboot: Byakuya and rather enjoyed it. Rei is the best, my new favourite character :shiny:

That was a really enjoyable spin-off.  There were a lot of theories when it first came out that Rei was Why-man or somehow connected to it, and that was a pretty fun ride until people started pointing out the inconsistencies with the theory.  But the timing was coincidental enough that it made people wonder.

I think it'll make a good filler episode or two, or even a nice between season special or something like that.

Have you tried out Sakamoto Days at all, by the way?

I’m really hoping they come across Rei if they eventually make it up into space. Seems like a perfect setup to me. 

Or maybe it isn’t if the space station fell apart during the second mass petrifaction event..? Not that many years passed though, and Rei has lasted thousands of years up there, so I’m sure Rei is still going strong.

Sakamoto Days is on my to-try list. Haven’t gotten around to it yet, but I probably will this summer. Once the spring anime season wraps up, I’ll have some more free time for other stuff. I’m probably not going to follow as many new shows this summer. 

On 6/27/2021 at 5:52 PM, Psycho666Soldier said:

I also just read the new series that started today(The Hunter's Guild: Red Hood).  Holy shit, it was pretty awesome.  The art is incredible.  Definitely interested to follow it and see where it leads.

I'm interested, the first chapter was okay to me. 

The only Manga I've been keeping up with is My Hero Academia and DB: Super.

Dr. Stone # 203

We got missiles now

:rotfl:

They’re moving on from Spain rather quickly. I wonder what comes next in India…

Kind of a weird chapter of Candy Flurry this week, but they’ve set up something big for next week :uhoh:

There was a lot going on in that second chapter of Choujin X! Pretty random. But there was some amusing stuff. I’m curious to read more. 

The Elusive Samurai # 24 — an interesting look into the supernatural side of what’s going on in this story :nod:

Dr. Stone #204 — new character alert!!! Interesting twist at the end too. I’m curious to see how things play out next week. 

Candy Flurry # 12 — this is getting exciting (poor Misaki though :fup:)

I've been slowly catching up on all the manga I've let slip to the wayside.  Once I'm there, I plan on giving Elusive Samurai another go. Since you've stuck it out this whole time and have had mostly good things to say about it, it makes me feel like I should give it another fair shot.

Been enjoying Hunter's Guild so far.  Very curious to see where it goes once it gets past the usual Shonen intro setup

I still didn’t check out Hunter’s Guild… keep forgetting :rotfl: Maybe tonight. 

Yeah, after an up-and-down start, I think The Elusive Samurai has been quite good lately. I’m enjoying it. YMMV of course, but it won’t take long to read 24 chapters to get current, so I’d recommend giving it another look. 

I've also been catching up on my manga game, it completely fell out of touch for a while there :uhoh: Still working on it but it's nice to re-read some stuff and explore some new! So far:

Ongoing:

- Boku no Hero Academia

- Komi-san wa Komyushou desu

- Mahoutsukai no Yome

- 3gatsu no Lion

- Useless Princesses

- One Point Advice Yankee

- The Story Between a Dumb Prefect and a High School Girl with an Inappropriate Skirt Length

- Our Son is Probably Gay

- Tsukiatte agete mo ii ka na

- Kieta Hatsukoi

- Kimi wa Kawaii Onnanoko

- Yamada and Kase-san

- Takane & Hana

Completed:

- Ore Monogatari!!

- Fruits Basket

- Fruits Basket Another

- Princess Princess

- Koi wa Ame-agari no you ni

Next on the list is probably a full re-read of One Piece, I feel it coming...

• Like 1

Dr. Stone # 205 — I think I have a new favourite character :shiny:

Candy Flurry # 13 — Making me wait another week for the really good stuff… :grumble: The exchange between Misaki and the intruder was kind of amusing though. 

Not much excitement in the latest chapter of The Elusive Samurai, but it expanded on the supernatural stuff that started to get introduced in the previous chapter. Background / world-building. I think it’s pretty cool. 

There is a new one-shot from the Chainsaw Man creator. It’s long-ish so I haven’t opened it up yet, but I will start on it one night this week. 

Been catching up on Elusive Samurai. I actually have been really enjoying the last few chapters a lot(I'm up to Ch. 15 now).  The Ogasawara arc really pulled me in.

It'll probably be a minute before I read that one-shot.  I'm trying to get myself fully caught up on Elusive Samurai and Witch Watch and then I'll be caught up on all the ones I've been following so far.

53 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Been catching up on Elusive Samurai. I actually have been really enjoying the last few chapters a lot(I'm up to Ch. 15 now).  The Ogasawara arc really pulled me in.

:thumbs: :highfive:

Finally got around to checking out The Hunter's Guild: Red Hood today. That first chapter was great. I'll definitely be reading more :nod: 

• Like 1

So far, the following chapters have been pretty good, too.  The last one kind of ended on an unexpected note, so I'm very curious to follow up.

Dragon Ball Super #74

Spoiler

Holy shit, so it looks like Vegeta unlocked the proper God of Destruction form?  Pretty cool way it came about, too.  The dialogue in this arc has been top notch, and really makes you feel these moments.  It's kind of interesting this form made him get the SSJ3 eyebrows, but it was pretty epic to see him reach a new form regardless.

Also between this and the Goku/Granolah fight, I really hope we get this animated at some point.

Somebody get Vegeta some eyebrows :rotfl: 

• ROFL 1

On 7/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, Psycho666Soldier said:

So far, the following chapters have been pretty good, too.  The last one kind of ended on an unexpected note, so I'm very curious to follow up.

Yeah it looks like we’re transitioning very quickly from triumph to tragedy in the next chapter :uhoh: 

On 7/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, dr. b said:

Yeah it looks like we’re transitioning very quickly from triumph to tragedy in the next chapter :uhoh: 

Yeah, I was fully prepared for a standard Shonen pace, but they kinda did a delayed AOT start.

Fully caught up on The Elusive Samurai now:

Spoiler

I really enjoy the way the characters have interacted and the way they go about talking about strategy.  The combat is really engaging, too, because a lot of it is about smarts and one or two well-timed moves rather than being some all-out thing.  I also started getting really into the villain designs/personality quirks.  For something that left me feeling like it was lacking early on, it really has been hitting all the right marks in later chapters.

I also feel it's been better about balancing the humor with dramatic/serious elements.

16 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Fully caught up on The Elusive Samurai now:

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoy the way the characters have interacted and the way they go about talking about strategy.  The combat is really engaging, too, because a lot of it is about smarts and one or two well-timed moves rather than being some all-out thing.  I also started getting really into the villain designs/personality quirks.  For something that left me feeling like it was lacking early on, it really has been hitting all the right marks in later chapters.

I also feel it's been better about balancing the humor with dramatic/serious elements.

Yeah it's fun watching this group of characters come together and I am intrigued about what's up with the villains.

Unrelated: I read Burn the Witch this week. I dunno why, just something to do I guess. It had some amusing and interesting elements, but that's about it. Apparently it is following a seasonal release schedule, so I think we're due soon for another mini-series of chapters, continuing from chapter #4. The first 'season' was August-September 2020... though I guess those chapters came closer to 2 years after the original one-shot.. so maybe the next run won't be as soon as I'm assuming. Whenever a new chapter pops up in the Jump app, I'll check it out.

Yeah, I always appreciate Tite Kubo's art, but the one-shot didn't really do much for me when it came out, so I never really bothered with the series.  Maybe one day when I get bored I'll check it out.  It just felt a bit flat to me.

The first ‘season’ is only four chapters so there’s not that much there to check out. I read them while I was bored watching my daughter do her swimming lessons this week :lol:

There was nothing new this past Sunday (that I'm reading) on the Jump app except one shorter-than-usual chapter of Spy X Family... :-/ 

It was a bummer.  I'm currently out ca.pung and was ready to have the week's series to catch up on during down time.  Maybe there was some kind of holiday or something?

The Olympics started last Friday, if that is somehow a factor...

I've been reading a lot of random manga recently, just finished "Yankee-kun & Megane-chan". Had some pretty funny points, but the ending was... not great :uhoh:

Choujin X #5

I had a feeling she was going to meet Tokio soon—perfect timing! I’m excited to see what will happen in the next chapter.

Candy Flurry #14 — I figured this chapter would focus on Tsumugi, and I was looking forward to that, but the focus was instead on Irie. I won’t complain, she’s a pretty cool character :cool:

The Elusive Samurai #26 — The political stuff in the first half was a bit of a bore, but it is a part of world this story takes place in. I like the mission that has been setup for the Elusive Warriors though. Should be some more action and excitement in the next couple chapters. 

Hunter’s Guild #5 — I think they got me hooked. I wanna know about witches and werewolves, magic, the Red List, etc. I am a sucker for this underdog kind of story. Go join the guild, Velou!

• Like 1

Anybody else read the DC3 one-shot? There are some elements of a fun and interesting story in there, though I'm not sure if the author has any intention of doing anything else with it. 

I haven't checked it out yet.  Might try to read it today, as I'm pretty much caught up on everything else now.

I started Neru: Way of the Martial Artist.  I really dig it

I was gonna read Neru last night but decided to read a book instead. It sounded interesting to me though. Guess I need to check it out this weekend!

The art has this old school vibe to it, and the motion is drawn really well.  I dig the protagonist, too.  Typical "shonen boy who has extraordinary talent" type plot, but handled in an engaging way.

We got some fun new chapters today :nod: 

Dr. Stone # 206

"Actually, 200,000!" :rotfl:  :fup: 

I can't wait for the computer to be done so Sai can re-make Dragon Quest :shiny: 

Candy Flurry # 15

Finally, Tsumugi's tagging in! :shiny: Gotta wait two weeks for the next chapter though... :-/ 

The Elusive Samura # 27

I fuckin' died over the dudes talk about how they're gonna die :rotfl: 

Ran out of time on lunch break to get to the new Hunters Guild chapter and to start reading Neru. Gonna get to those tonight.

The best panel from Elusive Samurai:

IMG_0057.jpg

The Hunters Guild

The Hunter Exam Camp arc should be fun

I was wondering how long the delay was going to be with all the chapters saying "To be Continued." Most everything had ended with some solid hooks leading to the next chapter.  The next issue should be a blast, especially if Spy x Family is gonna be there, too.

I'm caught up on Neru now. The first chapter didn't hook me right away, but the next ones were solid. I'm enjoying the entrance exam. Another manga reminding me of H×H and the Hunter Exam. I'm getting the itch to re-read H×H now... 

DB Super #75 -- I'm usually not a huge Vegeta fan, but I guess he's growing on me a bit. This battle is great. I hope to see it animated someday! :popcorn: 

I really feel like this fight/arc has really shown how Vegeta has grown as both a character and a combatant.  He's learned to control/manipulate his hot-blooded nature and see things from a greater perspective than ever before.

This has been the best arc in DB Super by far.  It feels like it has more depth than everything before it.

Anyone here read Witch Hat Atelier?
After meaning to look into reading it for a while, I found that volume 1 in English was sold out EVERYWHERE (there were a few to be found on US/Aus eBay, but the postage...). I think it was only published in 2019, so they must have underestimated how well it would sell. One site said it was being reprinted, but no estimate as to when it'd be available again. I've checked a couple of times since then, and yesterday I finally found a copy for about RRP on book depository, hooray! :mosh: I really do prefer reading longer-form comics and manga in a book to on a screen if possible, so I'm pretty pleased.

I have to confess not looking into what it's actually about much - the combination of the amazing artwork, the aesthetic and seemingly wholesome fantasy vibe is enough for me (I get the feeling if I googled it more I'd run into plot spoilers, rule 34 or both  :uhoh: ). But I'm looking forward to reading it.

I haven't read it I'm afraid, but it does look really good so it's on My List!

Currently re-reading One Piece because it's been years, and loving it all over again. :unkeke:

• Like 1

If it's good, when I next visit you I'll see if I can fit the first volume in my bag so you can read it. :whoop:

• Shiny 1

Took a break from One Piece to read some more shoujo, ended up reading what scans I can find of Kawahara Kazune's Suteki-na Kareshi (Where's My Lovely Sweetheart)! She's the person who wrote OreMonogatari, so the comedic spin is nice, but it's one of the ones she's done the art for herself.